xenia help

dwendler4

i got a piece of xenia from my lfs, and they told me to find a small piece of rock, or anything to weight it down, and super glue it by its base, so that it will not get blown away... my first question is, is that the right thing to do? perhaps i should have asked earlier as i have already tried that, actually i tried it twice, the first time he stayed put for about a day then DISAPPEARED *gasp* i spotted him in just about a minute just sitting at the bottom of the tank, so i guessed he just blew off, tried it again with different (better) glue. same thing happened, disappeared then i spotted him, however, this time, he blew right into this crevice of a rock that would actually be a nice place for him to be, and it appears that his base is sitting nicely on the rock, and also i turned the power heads in such a way that he is not affected by current right now... do you think that if i just leave him be that he will stick on to the rock? if yes how long should it take until he is stuck to it and i can return my powerheads to their normal positions? sidenote: he is pulsing quite a bit and is no longer all balled up like he was when i first brought him home, so i think he is happy. please let me know what you think.

infalable

just give it time. They will adhere to whatever you put next to it. Too strong of a flow may prevent it from attaching.

frankthetank

Yea, they will attach to something. I bought mine attached to a strand of a plant of somekind. I just wedged the plant into a rock and within a couple of days he had attached to the rock. 4 months later I have like 7 stalks of the stuff.

stephish

I've found it to be pretty resilient stuff that seems to pop up in odd places from whichever of the tank inhabitants think they're the aquascaper and frag it for me.
hold that bugger down and it will grow!

sergeant

Make sure you keep a close eye on it, so it doesnt take over your tank. They have a sting like an anemone and will kill polyps and mushrooms.

hatessushi

Mine was getting pretty big until the Coral Beauty found out that they taste pretty good. Now it's closed most of the time and is getting nipped to death.

dwendler4

Originally Posted by Sergeant
Make sure you keep a close eye on it, so it doesnt take over your tank. They have a sting like an anemone and will kill polyps and mushrooms.

i have heard this before, both on this site and from the guy at the lfs who sold it to me... i can imagine it spreads fast, but i cant imagine it spreading so fast that i cant control it... i have it smack in the middle of a real big rock and i wouldnt mind if it took the whole rock, kind of a xenia colony... if it does get out of hand, what can i do to slow it down?

joyfnp

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if you have a xenia attached to something, is it possible to remove it? I need to scrub off a lot of hair algae off the rock where my xenia is. And hopefully put that rock on the bottom out of the light, which i can't do as long as xenia is attached.
Joy

chadman

just squeeze the bottom of it it should release from what its holding on to...and though xenia can grow very well under the right conditions it is definately still able to be kept under control...

mtennant

Hell you can grab the right off the rocks!!!! :hilarious thay come right off the rock!!!!... LOL and I find a nice slow flow on them and BAM lots of them!!!..
I must have some killer mushrooms b/c thay kill my xenia when thay get to close to one... :hilarious My xenia as not killed any thing yet... Its the other way around with my xenia. And I have 3 driffent types of xenia too!