Xenia in a reef-what not to mix with?

I am thinking of purchasing a Xenia colony but was wondering if there is anything I shouldn't mix Xenia with in my tank? Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

scopus tang

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2624322
I am thinking of purchasing a Xenia colony but was wondering if there is anything I shouldn't mix Xenia with in my tank? Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
Your reef tank
. Seriously though, xenia is a mixed bag. Some can't get it to grow at all, other can't prune it enough to keep it from taking over their tank ~ check out Mr. X's xenia sell thread in the live selling forum. I personally moved mine to my sump Seems to be doing good down there

alix2.0

my only advice regarding xenia is make sure you buy a small frag at a fair price. no need for a $30 rock covered in it, plenty of people give it away for free. trust me, it will grow.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2624736
What would cause them to melt? Temperature...? If temperature, how high is too high?
Don't know about high end, but I can tell you that below 72 degrees is too cold for it ~ drops like a rock

jmrents

I added a small frag of xenia over a year ago....
Needless to say, I have had no problems with it growing, spreading, fragging,
and just plain pulling off my rocks when I get tired of it.
I do use a carbon bag in my sump, which I think most do these days, it can
help pull out many toxins that corals use as defense in your tank.
The coolest thing about xenia, is it will move to a place it likes over a period
of time.
Mine stays at the top of the tank, gets lots of water flow and light and even doesn't mind a nip from my Atlantic blue tang now and then.
Temp. hasn't been a problem for me at all, it gets hot here, and I haven't had any problems, even when the tank is 84, fortunately that is as high as it ever gets.
It is one of my favorite corals, and I wouldn't be without it. It is easy to keep, frag and always seems to pulse faster with a good dose of phytoplankton.
Good luck

renogaw

high temps shouldn't adversly affect xenia--it's one of those corals that grows rampant on the shoreline when there's high die off with high water temps and tidal issues.

gatorwpb

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2624387
Your reef tank
. Seriously though, xenia is a mixed bag. Some can't get it to grow at all, other can't prune it enough to keep it from taking over their tank ~ check out Mr. X's xenia sell thread in the live selling forum. I personally moved mine to my sump Seems to be doing good down there
Xenia is crazy! It grows everywhere! I frag it monthly for store credit and it keeps coming back. My hydnophora is my xenia control. When the xenia touches it, that stalk of xenia completely dies off

here's a pic of my "xenia factory" at its prime

mr_x

lol...i'm just getting caught up here...
i've noticed that when i cut xenia off of something with a pair of scissors(yep..that's how you do it), it will let off some sort of distress chemical...all of the xenia "down stream" from the cut piece will curl up, and so will the sps near by.
the good news is, they all open back up in a few minutes.
besides growing like crazy, xenia can harm other coral by growing around and over it, shielding it from essential light. i've seen this in my tank. no chemical warfare that i've seen, but the tank will get cramped quick!

chilwil84

zenias and leathers are 2 of the types of coral that have actually been tested to release toxins most other softies are usually just assumed to do the same but its untested. zenias sometimes just melt for unknown reasons. i was allowing my zenia to set in my frag tank before tradin them in and for some reason a batch melted out and many sps colors went off imediately and started to stn. i lost a few small frags but most survived.

fatty0981

xenia do better with bad water conditions. I have four tanks and the only one that will go the crap is my 29. Once it starts to grow you will regret it. The only coral i have in my 29g is xenia. I clear it out about once a every two months for store credit. At least it will cover an acan or a duncan colony once in awhile. Would not recommend it for a display tank.