Xenia probs and pics

My xenia forrest started to wilt a couple of days ago. To this point it has thrived and spread. What is odd is that everything else is doing great. Mushrooms, frogspawn, hammer coral, star polyps, anemones....all doin great...see pic. Did water tests. ammonia, nitrates, nitrites all 0. ph is 8.0. temp 78-80. salt 1.023. have done several 10 - 15% water changes without any change. Any ideas?

Alk levels have always been a little low. I have been adding kent superbuffer to increase it. It has gone up some since the water changes.

bang guy

Originally Posted by scubamatt007
http:///forum/post/2837080
Is it possible that going from a low alk level to a normal alk level would cause this reaction?

Yes. Do you have numbers? Low vs Medium isn't precise enough to diagnose a problem.

Lights are under a year old...no salt creep. Ive got a test kit ordered that will give me more precise numbers on alk. right now all I have is a kit that shows low, normal, high. Right now it is testing normal, but that is a first in several months as I have been trying to slowly raise it. will do another 10-15 gln change tonight.

I had the same problem with my Xenia. It grew like a weed and all of a sudden it started to shrivel up and melt. Cal and Alk were in line along with all other water parameters. I read some articles that said Xenia needs quite a bit of Iodine to thrive. After testing, I found my iodine level at .02. NSW is at .06. After a few days of careful dosing, the Xenia is back and going strong