Xenia Question

kevin34

I really like the look of xenia but have read that people really regret adding it to their tanks because it takes over everything. Once it starts growing is it really that hard to control?

mr. limpid

I have them in my reef tank the do multiply but they are easy removed if they start to get over crowded. They dont multiply that fast lol.

zeroc

Even if it does spread it's a pretty desireable coral because most people like it and it doesn't ship very well so it's not readily availible to everyone. So trade for other goodies.

N

nemo_66

its alright, it wont grow as fast as some people say tho. i had mine for a month now and it is just a little taller. it does attach super fast, so i guess if it just takes root, it will? i like it, you should get pulsing, fun to watch :popcorn:

cvetnich

Mine went from one branch to covering a hole 10lb rock in about a year.... I frag it out for zoos and shrooms.....

chadman

it does take over but it is a great looking coral and it pulses which adds an additional element to it all...i love my tank of xenia...haha

92cg60

Mine grows so fast I used to peel it from rocks and throw it away... until I found out my LFS would gladly take xenia for store credit

N

nemo_66

Originally Posted by 92cg60
Mine grows so fast I used to peel it from rocks and throw it away... until I found out my LFS would gladly take xenia for store credit

Hey, stop showing off.
:hilarious

1journeyman

If it likes your tank it can literally grow like a weed. Xenia is tempermental.
Case in point; I had a huge colony of Xenia in my 210 when I moved the tank in October. It all died.
Bought a frag in late October from LFS. Probably 3 stalks, 1-2 inches tall. It didn't do anything for over a month. Then it started to grow. I now have 15 stalks, 3-4 inches tall.

kevin34

Is it easy to frag and easy to keep under control? I would just want a few stalks of it here and there around my tank but I do NOT want it to dominate my tank.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Is it easy to frag and easy to keep under control? I would just want a few stalks of it here and there around my tank but I do NOT want it to dominate my tank.
It's pretty easy to peel off the rock, to frag, and if you place something kind of on it's foot it will migrate onto it.

xtyx

I also have alot of xenia, called the LFS and they will give me credit for it. Just to get things straight. All you have to do to frag is peel it off a rock not cut. and get it to stick to another? What do LFS prefer you to bring it in on? Shells, rocks?

am00re34

i would like to know this as well... my buddy fragged me some today, but all he did is cut part of a "stalk" and gave it to me. Will this attach to a rock in a few days or did he just kill it?
it has started to open up a little from when i put it in, but then it got knocked off the rock so when i moved it again it closed all up...
any hits to keep them in place until they attach?

thud

Originally Posted by 92cg60

Throwing it away! You should be ashamed! LOL!
A tank could never have enough xenia, I love the pulsing. It really brings a tank to life.

N

nemo_66

all you have to do is tie it down in netting and ruberband the netting to the rock. i read that that is the best way, and it should attach it acouple of days.

am00re34

Originally Posted by Nemo_66
all you have to do is tie it down in netting and ruberband the netting to the rock. i read that that is the best way, and it should attach it acouple of days.
i read this too but doesnt this really limit where you can have it? if you want to attach to a main rock in the tank your pretty much SOL. Also, with that netting how long do you wait to take it off? just enough so it attaches or until it starts to open up?

chadman

the best way to frag xenia is simply to get some live rock rubble and just place it so that the xenia is touching the rock...then don't move the rock for a couple days and the next time you take a look at your tank the live rock rubble will be covered with xenia...

am00re34

Originally Posted by chadman
the best way to frag xenia is simply to get some live rock rubble and just place it so that the xenia is touching the rock...then don't move the rock for a couple days and the next time you take a look at your tank the live rock rubble will be covered with xenia...
Does the Xenia "foot" have to be completly touching the rock/rubble? or it it kind of move to attach like an bta would?

alfa1023

The advice I give to people who have received xenia frags from me is to be sure that there is nothing of importance (ie. other corals) on any rocks above where they put the xenia frag because once the xenia takes hold, it will quickly spread up anything (rocks or otherwise, including the sides of the tank) in its way. A year ago I received a single stalk of xenia. It now covers the entire right side of my tank. The only coral that I have seen hold its own against xenia is GSP. I have has SPS frags knocked into the xenia bed ("weed bed") by my fish and/or snails and the SPS is dead within a day.
As to fragging, what works best for me is to cut the xenia stalk off even with the rock and then stick a toothpick through the bottom of the stalk - you then can wedge the toothpick in a hole in your liverock - the xenia will attach in as little as a week if it likes your tank lighting and water parameters.

chadman

Originally Posted by Am00re34
Does the Xenia "foot" have to be completly touching the rock/rubble? or it it kind of move to attach like an bta would?
any part of the xenia can be touching the rock...if only the middle for example is touching the rock then it will attach at the middle...at that point you can cut it and the base that is left on the other rocks will grow new heads in a month or so...