xenia rock!

groucheux

Hey there boys and girls... been a while since I've checked in... didn't realize how much I've missed this board!
Tank is recovering nicely from heater misshap a couple of months ago(to fill you in, my heater chose the weekend I went out of town to MELT and stay on for 48 hours. Lost 20 mushrooms, a foot of star polyps, 3 shrimp, and a buttload of button corals). The button corals have come back with a vengence, my lone red mushroom has spawned 4 newbies and my poor blue mushroom is hanging in there.
For our anniversary my wife got me a coral of my choice at the best LFS in the Fort Worth area, and I fell in love with the pulsing Xenia. Got a nice little stalk ($20 worth) and a $9 mat of star polyps and stuck 'em in the tank. Xenia is pulsing like a fool and the polyps are swaying in the breeze. First things I've put in the tank since The Disaster and I'm feeling good and life is happy again.
Anyhoo...just wanted to chime in. Chicken Soup for the Reef Lovers Soul... If you have a disaster, don't give up...just give it some time. I think this hobby really becomes great when you stop trying to control nature and start appreciating its beauty and resilience.
keep on keeping on...the Grouch

javajoe

I love the pulsing xenia too... i bought a rock with 5 stalks on them, and placed the small rock in a hole in one of my large peices of live rock. since then, the stalks have thickened, reached over, hooked on to the big rock, and split to make new stalks! i have 2 times what i bought growing in my tank now! its awesome!

How come major mishaps only take place when you are not home? Nice part of belonging to a reef club is having someone to check in on the tanks when you go out of town.
Sorry for your losses....thanks for the words of encouragement.

reefman316

I know what you mean on the disaster thing I lost all my fish to a case of Ich that was $45 worth of fish.I let my tank go for 1 month with only live rock,live sand,snails,and my hermit crabs.I just added 3 Damsels and plan on letting them go for at least 1 month before adding my next fish.Could you tell me what types of corals I can put under 40 watts of light?

teatime

I just got some xenia last week. The LFS guy scrapped it off the glass of his tank. I glued it to a small piece of rock it did Ok the first 2 days. Then my damsles started to nip at it. I had to remove my LR to catch the damsles. Now my xenia looks real skinny and small. I hope it recovers. :( The small free piece he gave me that fell behind my rocks I was able to recover but it doesn't look so good either. I hope they are hardy. :)