Yellow coris wrasse question

twobitt

I just bought a yellow coris wrasse. The posts I read here say they do well in captivity and good for a peaceful tank and the people at the lfs said they are hardy and a good choice. I just looked online to compare prices of what I just paid and noticed that a couple online retailers have them listed as an expert only fish. Does anyone know why it would be listed as such and what special care must be taken for them? I would rather return him now for a partial credit and hope someone that is an expert takes him home then give him an untimely death from my hands if I am not experienced enough to care for him.

dogstar

No, The book Marine Fishes says they are considered a great little fish, peacefull, hardy, stay small, more than one can be kept, reef safe except for small crustations.....
they do need deep fine sand because they do bury at night and many jump from open tanks if spooked.....

cjml

:happyfish Wrasses are great fish! So many beautiful varieties. But you do have to watch out for your little crabs and snails! The bigger wrasses like crustaceans-but I think the smaller wrasses are not quite as aggressive towards bigger crustaceans. But they are big eaters. They like meaty stuff. They like krill, squid and mine also eat pretty much all the other frozen food I feed. :happyfish And yes they are pretty hardy!

a sea k

The biggest problem you will encounter with this fish is acclimating it to food. If your system does not have enough natural fodder to sustain him till he starts taking prepared foods you will have problems, otherwise you will be good to go.