Yellow fin fairy wrasse

jesshika

I have a yellow fin fairy wrasse who, up until a few days ago, was a very shy fish who didn't bother anyone and now he is becoming the opposite. He is fine with my maroon clown but whenever another fish like my cleaner wrasse goes into "his corner" he chases them away. Is this normal behavior or should I consider getting a more peaceful fish? I was thinking of trading him for the yellow flank fairy wrasse (but didn't know if that would be similar?) or a flasher wrasse.

mboswell1982

u might could try the longfin fairy wrasse, they're supposed to be nice peaceful community type reef safe wrasses, or something similar to them, such as the red velvet wrasse an what not :p and it could just also be that that is his territory, and as long as they stay outta his territory, which they should learn in time to stay away, things will be fine

jesshika

Thanks for the response. I might try to keep him a while longer then, unless his territory expands further. Is that possible?

mboswell1982

honestly, i have no actual experience, jsut a ton of research, but, i dont think it should expand, hopefully someone who's got a ton of experience, such as bang guy, crimzy, and any of the other mods, bang guy's one, crimzy is just a hobbyist with many years experience, and any of the other guys an gals on here who have got a ton of experience will chime in on this lol

detguy313

what size tank is this in...in a smaller tank fairy and flasher wrasses can be quite aggrssive though yellow fins are on of the least aggrssive fairy i have kept though i did have one that was pretty nasty in my 180..the yellow flanked fairy will lose alot of its color if it is not kept with females..keep in mind that the fairys that are blue and green tend to fade the most and that one is in the blue group

detguy313

in a tank that size even the smaller fairys like the yellowfin can be somewhat aggressive but i am glad to hear things seem to be doing better

jesshika

I will be upgrading to a 55 gal long soon so they will have a little more room, hopefully everyone behaves until then. I have the 55 gal a freshwater right now so I want to switch my 40 breeder with the 55. Or would it be better going with something a little larger like a 75? I was hoping to have a dwarf angel or small butterfly but I believe they need at least a 75 gal?

detguy313

the larger the tank it is always better for the fish but that yellowfin should be fine in the 55 as well..but for the other fish i would go to at least a 75