Yellow Leather & Shrooms

xterling

About 4 months ago I bought a really nice yellow leather, that also had some mushrooms on the same piece of rock. Now it seems the shrooms are outgrowing the leather, and the leather seems to be shrinking away. Is there any way for me to save the leather? I'd also like to keep the shrooms, since they are pretty also.

aldog51

You can cut the leather off the rock and place him in a new spot with an exacto knife. You can pin him dfown with a toothpick at the base and maybe a rubberband to hold him in place until he stcks to his new rock. The only drawback is that another one will grow out of any remains.

h2oengr

How can that be a drawback aldog!? If it lives, great! If it doesn't, then no harm done with the original leather transplanted! Good luck xterling! I'd be nervous as hell cutting any coral with an exacto, but that's what I've heard will work also!

If you want to remove the leather from the rock here is how "I" would do it.
If possible remove the rock from the tank...if for no other reason it will close the mushrooms and give you room to work.
Find a place on the base of the leather where it attaches to the rock that shows some gap between it and the rock. If it is solid the whole way around, no matter, you just have to be a little more careful when you get started.
Basically all you are going to do is try to peel the leather like removing a piece of tape or a label from a cardboard box. Begin picking at the base where it attaches. Once you get it started ....grab a hold and pull!!:eek: Pull gently as you do not want to rip the base (just like the label or tape it will be harder to get off if you tear it) once you get it off the rock attach it to another piece and replace it in your tank.
If the leather comes off the rock without tearing, the bottom of the stalk (that was touching the rock) will feel a lot harder and will not produce slime. The advantage here is that is will glue very well with minimal additional support from a piece of netting etc.
If the stalk does rip (be careful not to allow it to rip vertically) then you will need to use something to anchor it in addition to the glue.
If there are any pieces of the stalk left on the rock then potentially they could regrow into another leather. Given the proximity of the mushrooms and the polyp ...my guess is any remaining stalk would just melt and should be removed prior to replacing the rock back into the tank.
FWIW
SiF

xterling

How long can the Mushrooms, and the Leather be out of water?
Will they be safe thru this procedure out of water? Sounds scary, but I'm willing to give it a shot...nurse, scalpel!

The mushrooms and leather (and single polyp:)) could easily survive several hours out of water but the shorter the amount of time out of water the faster the recovery. Keep an extra dish/bowl of water handy and when you are not working on a piece be sure to keep it in water. Be sure to rinse off (using tank water) the coral as much excess slime (created from being out of water and stressed) as possible before replacing in the tank. Generally I like to have everything in and out in under an hour.
SiF
PS you should not need anything to cut with but if you do I like using a single edge razor blade like the one pictured in the link above.

xterling

Thanks slowest is fastest, I really appreciate the help. I will post results in the next 48 hours. Thanks again.

xterling

:confused: Well she's not looking to good in her new spot. She's turning black in some areas. Don't know if this is normal shock symptons, here's a pic of the yellow leather in her new spot...

scubasteve

Slowest - you propogate any other corals? I've had great luck with pulsing xenia, but so far thats the only thing i've tried. I think i'll try some of my mushrooms once i get my new tank set up. I'd like to start some ongoing posts about propogating corals in the future.
Xterling - keep the pics and updates coming. Hope your leather starts looking better!

xterling
Sorry I missed your update. This week at work has been very busy. As for your leather ... The dark spots are not "normal" but I have had it happen when dealing with a wild colony. The only thing you can do is place it in a medium flow area of the tank and with a turkey baster blow off any decaying tissue. The brown spots are areas that are more at risk(and although I have no proof I liken it to brusing). Baste the entire piece as often as you can every day until it opens normally or if you have decaying tissue, until it heals.
These guys(wild yellow leathers) can be high maintenance until they recover but I wouldn't give up on it. Just make sure the water stays as good as you can get it and keep the leather clean.
Can you tell me exactly what/how you separated the leather from the rock?
I will be back online this evening if you want to chat about it.
SiF
PS scubasteve...I have done about 50+ different kinds mostly softies and SPS although lots of people on this board have done the same. Do a search for "fragging" and I'll bet you will find lots of useful info:)

xterling

The Leather didn't make it. It just melted away. Oh, well. It was a beautiful piece, and will be missed. Here are some pics of my latest inhabitants. Some are doing better than others, but I've managed to get my tank stabilized, and worked out flow issues, and algae probs that I had. I will re-attempt to keeping another leather, until then... Here's the shrooms.