yellow tabg

schippy

I just got a new yellow tang. He seems really heathy and happy in his new home. I was wondering why he has that whit stripe on hgis side. Is it normal? what does it mean if not

saltysyd

Get ready for the wrath of the tang police, most people would agree that a 55g tank is too small for a tang. :eek:

aegiale

I have a small yellow tang in a 75 gallon tank. Is that large enough? He's about 2 inches. I've had him for about a month and a half (he was in QT and then in my tank for about a week now). He seems to be VERY skinny although he eats like a pig. He also seems to be getting light orange markings on his face and some slightly darker dots. Is this pore rot or whatever it's called? If so, or if not, what should I do? Thanks.

nicky1.8t

when he gets big be prepaired to move him to a bigger tank or back to the lfs
or they will come for you

A wile back when i was more stupid than i am now i put a yellow tang in my 55. It just started to get stressed, lost color, and than slowly...but surly....faded away to the black abyss of the 55 gal tank........

pretty dramatic...huh?
anyways I wouldnt put a yellow tang in a 55 gal. Ive had 3 and they never lived. it was hard for me not to get one cuz they are sooo cool but i dealed with it...until now cuz im getting a 90 gallon tank!:cheer:

wrassecal

I believe that a yellow tang in a 55 gal 4 ft long tank can be happy and healthy. Tangs like to take off fast and zip across the tank. Mine was there for over a year. It's even happier in the 135 now. Your yt will have that white stripe, it's normal. It will also fade color at night getting paler for camo when sleeping. Just know that in a couple of years the tang may be too big for a 55.
My tangs are fat and I can't tell from your pic but yours seems a little thin to me. You need to supplement it's diet with seaweed because they graze on algae all day. You can get nori sheets from the asian section of the grocery store cheap or buy seaweed selects from the lfs. If you are not already, you might add a little zoe to the fish food to help with the immune system. I also feed cyclopeeze to my tank 3 times a week. HTH