Yellow tang bullying new maroon

aimglow

I have a 72 gal salt water tank. I wanted a maroon clown, but read that they can be bullies. I decided to introduce other fish to my tank first, so the maroon wouldn't be a big bully. I first got two tangs, a yellow tang and cole tang and they are the best of friends. I also have a yellow spotted mandarin and of course a clean up crew. My tank was doing really well and all my fish were happy and healthy, so I decided to finally get a maroon clown.
I found this gorgeous 2 1/2" maroon clownfish at my lfs. When I added him to my tank the yellow tang would not leave him alone. He keeps slapping the maroon with his tail. The maroon tries to swim away and hide, but everywhere he goes the yellow tang is there to harass him. The maroon is bigger than my tangs. The maroon has been in my tank 3 days, and this behavior is still going the yellow tang isn't following him around slapping him, but if the maroon comes close to "his" cave he slaps him. I was worried about my maroon being mean to my tangs not the other way around. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

S

shrimpy brains

Sounds like the tang is starting to simmer down already. Otherwise, I would recommend rearranging the rock. Have you considered getting an anemone for the clown. Try placing it in the tank opposite the tangs cave. That would give the clown protection. JMHO!
Also, you could QT the tang for a couple of days, then put him back and see what happens.

aimglow

Well from everything I read, a maroon clown will be much more mean to it's tankmates if it gets an anenome. Like she will be much more territorial and such. The slapping has simmered down, but the yellow tang still does this. I don't want it to go on forever. Poor little/big marroon. I think I will try rearranging the rocks. Thanks