yellow tang died with red mouth and gills

islandjunkie

hi everyone, i have a saltwater aggresive tank, with niger trigger, wild grunt, and had yellow tang, it did well for about a week, then it's mouth turned reddish rust color, all level are good in the tank, he laid down on bottom and would not eat, then died, has anyone seen the red mouth syndrone, could he have arrived sick, my niger and grunt and other fish are still doing great, any ideas, thanks.

sepulatian

Welcome to the boards!! It sounds like he had a bacterial infection. Bacteria is present in all bodies of water. It infects those with a weakened immune system. To treat him you would have needed a fully cycled quarantine tank and Maracyn 2 for saltwater. Do you have a quarantine tank set up? It is very important for hobbyists to keep one. There are few ailments that can be treated within the display. Most require that the fish be removed.

islandjunkie

thanks for your response, i'm new to salt water, do not have a quarantine tank set up, only main tank, how big does new fish tank has to be, i have an extra 40 gallon tank not being used, do i just set up with filter only, how long should new fish be quarantined, should any preventive medicine be added to new fish, or only if sick, thanks for your help

sepulatian

The 40 gallon will work wonderfully. At the top of Disease and Treatment you will find a thread called Common Treatments, written by Beth. She has all kinds of information about quarantine tanks, diseases, treatments, etc. Please take a look at it. If you have any questions then we will surely answer them for you. That thread is a must read for newer hobbyists, especially if they have lost fish to disease. Post all of your questions. We are more than happy to help

kurtymac

yea it sounds exactly like the guy above stated, also with yellow tangs, they could gain a brownish rust color in their stomachs, from lack of oxygen in the tank which is another commen problem to death rates amoung the yellow tang species.