Yellow Tang in 12g Nano

camskeeper

I have a 12g nano. Would anyone see a problem with putting a Yellow Tang in with a False Percula? Read somewhere that a Yellow Tang in a small tank is not a good idea. Does anyone have any advice?

jacknjill

Way too big for a 12 gallon. Id say at the very least a 55, but only for a short while. There are plenty of small fish that could go in there with the clown. Firefish, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, neon goby, and more

devilboy

Originally Posted by CamsKeeper
I have a 12g nano. Would anyone see a problem with putting a Yellow Tang in with a False Percula? Read somewhere that a Yellow Tang in a small tank is not a good idea. Does anyone have any advice?
is this a serious question??

L

lbaskball

Too small of a tank, yellowtangs get big when they grow. Plus you will need to feed him seaweed other then brine shrimp. THey love seaweed. I had one in a 20gallon which was length wise long, so it was able to swim around a lot but even then I thought it was too small so I gave it to someone who had a 90gallon tank. It was happier there :)

gregzbobo

if you want yellow in your tank, get a yellow goby. Much more suited to a nano. Even better, get it along with a pistol shrimp, they will likely pair together in a burrow. Very interesting behavior to see.

swlover

Originally Posted by gregzbobo
if you want yellow in your tank, get a yellow goby. Much more suited to a nano. Even better, get it along with a pistol shrimp, they will likely pair together in a burrow. Very interesting behavior to see.
Really..that does sound interesting, I'm wrighting that one down! I like watching odd tank mates get along..I had a FW/brackish puffer that loved a gold fish. The gold fish was won at a fair and the guy I was dating at the time put it in there with the puffer when I was at work, I came home and they where swimming around together-it looked like playing tag. They were tank mates for about 6-7 years, until my friends little daughter put her cool aid in the tank and killed them.. I was really upset. Also had a angel take up with a neon, same way. Thanks for the idea!

jacknjill

yeah, pistol shrimp and gobies make really cool pairs, that is, if you can stand the clicking noises. i think NMreef has a very cool pair