Yellow tang, reddening

dragracer

I have a small yellow tang, in a 55...I know I know please don't reprimand me for that.......there is a new tank coming the day after christmas....anyway.......I give him a balanced diet of algae/seeweed sheet, nori, spiriluna(sp) and some meaty foods that he doesn't go nuts over. But over the last two days his lips/mouth area have been turning reddish and along his dorsal fin to his tail. I asked the LFS and they said"sometimes they do that" Sorry, I don't buy that answer. Thats why I cam here to the credibale people. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

zibnata

Check ammonia and nitrite levels.I know from recent experience.I screwed up and my QT cycled.Do a search on ammonia poisoning. Symptoms sound like it. Good Luck
This is from a search
Ammonia Poisoning
Symptoms: Red or bleeding gills. Fish may appear darker in color and may gasp for air at the surface.
Treatment:Ammonia Poisoning can be prevented but is impossible to cure. Avoid adding expensive fish to new tanks. New tanks must sit for two to four weeks until the bacterial level is sufficient to handle the tank load; add a few inexpensive fish at this time. Purchase an ammonia and nitrite test kit. Test the water until the ammonia drops to nearly zero. At this time, you should notice an increase in the nitrite level. When the nitrites are gone, it will be safe to add fish. Note that the bacterial phases will not take place unless the tank is initially stocked with feeder fish which can be removed after treatment. For larger biological loads, purchase a wet/dry filter (marine only) or a freshwater biological filter such as the Penguin Bio-Wheel by Marineland. For the immediate removal of ammonia, purchase an ammonia detoxifier such as Kordon's Amquel. However, it is best left alone until the bacterial load is sufficient.
Information: Ammonia Poisoning is common in new aquariums, especially when immediately stocked to full capacity. Ideally, the level of ammonia should be zero. Although trace amounts are generally harmless, they can still lead to problems over time. Understanding the nitrogen cycle is essential for the keeping of any aquatic life. In essence, try to maintain your aquarium with no traceable ammonia present. The amount of ammonia present is usually accompanied by a rise in pH. As ammonia is a strong base, it is stabilized by alkaline water. It can cause damage to the gills at a level as small as 0.25 mg/l