yellow tangs sick

littlemamalew

Hi, I am new to this so bare with me. I have two large yellow tangs that sre in seperate tanks, or I had two yellow tangs. One has died. They start out with the lips turning red, and then their bodies get a blotchy red look to them. on Saturday the one that died to today was fine. the other one was fine yesterday and today its lips are turning red and a small amount of red on its body. The one that is still alive is swimming fine and still eating, mouth is a little wider open then normal. The water checks out perfect. did not a parcial water change anyway. Can anyone help me to identify what this is
and what I can do to prevent loosing the second tang?
Thank You

cj_build

Pictures might help ID it.
I have done a little online research and could it be "black spot" disease? Is he/she rubbing on rocks etc.?
And or "Oodinium"
Welcome to the forum as I am new also here.

sepulatian

Welcome to the boards!! Just based on the description it sounds like a bacterial infection. Can you please post pictures of it? Please post your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, SG, and temp. Also please post your tank size, how long you have had the fish, and what is/was in with them. This information will enable us to figure out why he got the infection to begin with, if that is in fact what it is.

littlemamalew

I will get pics tomorrow and send them with the test values.the tanks are both 55 gal. all that is in the tank with the first one was a honey chromis and some live rock. The Chromis is doing fine. No the tang was not rubbing against anything.
thanks for responding and will get back with you tomorrow.

nanomantis

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2950548
Welcome to the boards!! Just based on the description it sounds like a bacterial infection. Can you please post pictures of it? Please post your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, SG, and temp. Also please post your tank size, how long you have had the fish, and what is/was in with them. This information will enable us to figure out why he got the infection to begin with, if that is in fact what it is.
agreed with the likely diagnosis off of the given information.

littlemamalew

Hello, well my tang died this moring. could not get pics. My ph was 8.2, ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, copper 0, and 76 degrees. every thing else in tanks are doing fine. the tank size of both tanks were 55's. sorry but I did not even thing obout the . I will check.
thank you

small triggers

i know exactly what you are talking about, my yellow tang had it too, it died to even after being put in quarintine and using a wide spectrum bacteriacide (which was the only thing i could think of didnt want to do copper) it took 3 or 4 days but never recovered even though it was eating a little bit still. Never found out exactly what it was though.

jtfishman

I had a yellow tang that had the same thing happen! his whole body turned rust colored, and ended up dying a few days later. Now I just got in a new yellow tang from SWF.com on Friday after about 1 year and a new tank from the previous sick tang, and the new one now has a spot on his side that is rust colored! I do not know what it is, I went to a fish store and asked the guy who owns the place and who is a pro saltwater fish guy about the old one I had and he said it was really weird, he had never heard anything of that. So now I am on a race against time to save my 3 day old tang!

sepulatian

Septicemia is a possibility. That usually shows as bloody holes. Bacterial infections start as bloody streaks or red blotches. Use Maracyn 2 for SW fish in a fully cycled quarantine tank. The medication cannot be used in the display. You also cannot use it in a tank that is not cycled because you won't be able to do water changes without diluting the amount of medication in the tank. Since the medication comes in tablet form there is no way to compensate for the new water.