yellowhead sleeper what will he eat?

O

obatang

We bought him yesterday and he hasent ate yet.
i fed him frozen brine shrimp and formula 2.
what should i try.
should i try the same food again.

aqua blue

Hello ObAtAnG.
I have only been in this hobby for about six months so others with more experience may offer other advice.
I have a Yellow Headed Sleeper Goby that I drop 3 or 4 shrimp pellets in for him to feed on. He will chew on them and spit them out then chew on them more as the water softens them. I sometimes soak them with a few drops of garlic juice or put them in a small cup of tank water to soften them.
He has adapted to this feeding routine very well. The reason that I feed 3 to 4 pellets is that my cleaner shrimp will also take one of the pellets and sometimes the crabs will eat them. You may want to try one pellet at a time to see if it will work for you.
The Goby will sometimes eat the flakes and frozen shrimp that I feed the other fish but they rarely let any food reach the bottom.
The Goby does a great job of keeping the top layer of my sand nice and clean too. I realize that he may feed on some of the stuff he sifts from the sand but I feel better seeing him eat the pellets. His stomach seems to stay full looking and not compressed or looking like he is starving.
Good Luck :)

O

obatang

alright i will try it.
i will go to the lfs and get some then thanks

mike j

I wouldn't worry too much, my yellow headed sleeper goby didn't eat for the first couple days either. I'm guessing he's found himself a rock to live under and he might not even be out and about for the first while. Try mysis or brine shrimp; one thing about these guys is that they aren't too fussy once their adjusted. Give him a few days to get used to his new surroundings and his eating habits will most likely improve.
HTH
Mike

O

obatang

He seems like hes found his house so i will try again tonight thanks

tru conch

ive had mine for over a year now, and he is a little pig.
he likes to eat frozen formula one, and flake formula one
also will eat pieces of seaweed drifting by (from the tangs eating the seaweed selects)
the yellowheaded sleeper will also get food from the sand bed as he shifts through it. hth and enjoy your goby.

ddt

Mine eats MYSIS very well. Try it he barely touches anything else. BTW, how big is your tank? They get quite large 8-9".

O

obatang

my tank is 90 gallon and hes about 3.5 inches right now.
he ate today and i will also try mysis