Yesterday afternoon I added 2 BTAs to my big tank.

C

calvertbill

I knew they might travel, but I started them out (they were attached to the same piece of dead coral) 3/4 of the way up the outside of a 24" tall LR cave. The spot has good flow and is approximately 18-20" below the surface of the water. There is a 150W MH 7" above the water's surface at that spot.
Sure enough they traveled in the night but the problem is that I can't find them. I figured that my female Clarkii would be a good detective, but she just keeps doing her "hosting dance" over a rock on the side of the reef. I've come to assume that the anemones have migrated into the cave in the reef. They probably have decent flow in there (I built a Koralia 3 into the rock when I constructed the reef) but I can't imagine the light's all that good in there. Can I assume that their sense of self-preservation will impel them to come back into the light or should I start digging and moving 120 lbs. of rock?

lexluethar

Leave them be. They will find a place that suites their flow and lighting needs. The first few weeks they tend to move around A LOT, partly to find a good spot, another just to get used to the environment. Just watch out and make sure they don't run into a PH. You'd be suprised how small they get when they shrink up, i thought mine did a disapearing act in my 30 gallon, but sure enough it was just in a SMALL cave in the rocks. They will probably shrink up at night and come out during the day.
When are you going to update the tank pics, I freekin love that project!

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
When are you going to update the tank pics, I freekin love that project!
I know, I know, I'm behind with my pix, it's just that I was desperate to get the filter going (I'd gone 5 WEEKS w/o any) I finally hooked it all up using plumbing which wouldn't fit under the tank so its kind of spread out into the room. If you ever need a big skimmer I love my MRC MR-4...it's a monster. The gods must want me to tear down my reef though, first the BTAs which are the subject of this thread...and then this morning I dropped a Cynaria behind the reef where there's very little light. Can they migrate or do I need to fetch it?
I WILL get to those pix!

lexluethar

I'm not sure about the Cynaria, but if you are worried about lighting you can suppliment those BTA's with regular feedings. IMO looking at your tank i would have opted for a higher wattage MH - 250 or more.

C

calvertbill

I'm not sure about the Cynaria, but if you are worried about lighting you can suppliment those BTA's with regular feedings. IMO looking at your tank i would have opted for a higher wattage MH - 250 or more.
I had already planned on replacing the bulbs w/higher wattage when they fail...or maybe I could replace the bulbs w/250s now and save the 150s as b/u in case the others fail.

lexluethar

Totally agree with you, esp since you are adding light sensative corals/inverts at this point. Although i'm sure 150 would be okay, why risk it. BTW beautiful farm.

C

calvertbill

BTW beautiful farm.
Tnx.

reefmate75

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
I knew they might travel, but I started them out (they were attached to the same piece of dead coral) 3/4 of the way up the outside of a 24" tall LR cave. The spot has good flow and is approximately 18-20" below the surface of the water. There is a 150W MH 7" above the water's surface at that spot.
Sure enough they traveled in the night but the problem is that I can't find them. I figured that my female Clarkii would be a good detective, but she just keeps doing her "hosting dance" over a rock on the side of the reef. I've come to assume that the anemones have migrated into the cave in the reef. They probably have decent flow in there (I built a Koralia 3 into the rock when I constructed the reef) but I can't imagine the light's all that good in there. Can I assume that their sense of self-preservation will impel them to come back into the light or should I start digging and moving 120 lbs. of rock?
when adding new anemones to your tank they tend to split...and 80% of the time they will do this in the dark..as for my RBTA they planted their foot in a cave area and ajust the lenght of thier trunk to the amount of light they are wanting, i say give it a week then start to worry