Yet another sump setup question

neaners

Please forgive me, as I know this topic has prolly already been beaten to death, but I am EXTREMELY new at this hobby. Maybe this "DIY" project is even way over my head. that is kind of my question.. anywho, readers digest version is that I made the huge mistake of coming into this with a 29 gallon tank.. after paying about $500.00 for a mud filter and all of the "jazz", I now know that there is no way for me to be happy with it. I have "acquired" a fully set up and (currently) running 135 gallon fresh water tank and stand from a friend and want to get it converted to salt. Also thrown into the pot was a 75 gallon tank (like the glass only type of thing). I want to set the 135 gallon up with a mud filter like I currently have and everyone is telling me to use the 75 gallon as the sump. I understand I have to get the light and partition it, although I am not sure how to get the partitioned part accomplished. and then I also am not sure what sort of hardware (like specifics) that I would need to purchase to run the pump. unfortunately I don't have an honest dealer anywhere in my area to help me out on this so I am turning to you guys
. was I right in thinking that this is a "too fast, too soon" type of thing for me, or is it "do-able"? and if so, where do I start?
Thanks in advance!
~ Janene

reefforbrains

Absolutley do-able.
Do a search for DIY sumps or DIY fuge or refugium. This should yield quite a monster amount of reading materials. A great place to start

earlybird

That would be a sweet set up with a 75g sump. Like Reefforbrains said, search refugium but I'll add a few more, baffles, sump, silicone, return pump, turnover. You'll come to many conclusions and the more you research the more your plans will change. I am in no way handy but have tackled they DIY projects involved head on. You'll surprise yourself at how easy you get the building accomplished.

dawman

??? 75 gallon tank for a sump . It is a waste of a nice tank to me . I`d set up the 75 for another DT , but that`s just my opinion . I use a 30 gallon for my sump and that is plenty for my 135 gallon DT . There are plenty of threads about DIY sumps and many,many different ways you can build it .

sign guy

I disagree with Dawman you need a75 to hald all of your equipment
do you want a fuge to be part of your sump or do you want to use the mud sump only?

earlybird

You could have a huge fuge with tons of un-safe reef animals doing their part to keep the reef above their head looking sweet.

neaners

Originally Posted by sign guy
I disagree with Dawman you need a75 to hald all of your equipment
do you want a fuge to be part of your sump or do you want to use the mud sump only?
to be honest with you, I really am not sure (*blush*). I just know that right now I have what was referred to as a "Mud filter" and it seems to be the way to go (at least i think.. lol) here's some pics of the different angles.

I just kinda figured that it would be set up generally the same way? no?