***** = YIKES!

ifirefight

Im sorry to all of you that are forced to use *****. Not trying to bash..but jeeeshh, I went in one today...and was not impressed. I live in So. Florida,and I am luckey to have probably 50 LFS within a 30 mile radius of me. NOW I see why people pay 40 dollars for shipping on a 10 dollar coral.

mike22cha

I use petsmart just because they do have basic supplies for aquariums. I would never buy livestock from *****, but if I need some test kits or a HOB filter (since my lfs don't have great supplies and I don't want to order off line) I'll go there.

digitydash

I went their cause I needed some carbon on a sunday cause I have be doing interceptor treatments and didn't relize I only had a little bit left.So if figured I would just look to see what they had.They had like 20 clowns in this 10 gal all chasing eack other all over the place.

m0nk

Originally Posted by digitydash
http:///forum/post/2546389
I went their cause I needed some carbon on a sunday cause I have be doing interceptor treatments and didn't relize I only had a little bit left.So if figured I would just look to see what they had.They had like 20 clowns in this 10 gal all chasing eack other all over the place.

Yeah, I saw the same thing at my local ***** the other week.... plus there was a dead clown in the tank and every once in a while the others would peck at it, like they were starving and the only food around was one of their own....

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by ifirefight
http:///forum/post/2546006
NOW I see why people pay 40 dollars for shipping on a 10 dollar coral.

Good then it's not just me. I just paid 30 for shipping on an 18 dollar frag, and I had to ask myself, is that frag worth 48 bucks.
We have a ***** and surprisingly the "fish girl" has reef tanks of her own at home and is knowledgable. But we also have a Petland, and I won't give that place 2 cents even if I have to!! They are the only ones in town with Oceanic salt, and I am a diehard oceanic fan, but instead of buying, I switched salts. Nothing on this planet would have convinced me to switch before, but after seeing that place... NO WAY! But I do have it on order via another fish store.

My Petland sample. My phone didn't pick up the ick that completely covered this poor thing. You can see it a little on his tail.

geridoc

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2546402
Good then it's not just me. I just paid 30 for shipping on an 18 dollar frag, and I had to ask myself, is that frag worth 48 bucks.
We have a ***** and surprisingly the "fish girl" has reef tanks of her own at home and is knowledgable. But we also have a Petland, and I won't give that place 2 cents even if I have to!! They are the only ones in town with Oceanic salt, and I am a diehard oceanic fan, but instead of buying, I switched salts. Nothing on this planet would have convinced me to switch before, but after seeing that place... NO WAY! But I do have it on order via another fish store.

My Petland sample. My phone didn't pick up the ick that completely covered this poor thing. You can see it a little on his tail.

Not only is that fish sick, but it is a sick Moorish Idol. The odds of successfully keeping a MI are almost nil, so even if healthy, the poor fish was doomed. This is one of those species that should not be captured, and should not be bought if they are offered for sale. We have to remove the economic incentive.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
http:///forum/post/2546511
Not only is that fish sick, but it is a sick Moorish Idol. The odds of successfully keeping a MI are almost nil, so even if healthy, the poor fish was doomed. This is one of those species that should not be captured, and should not be bought if they are offered for sale. We have to remove the economic incentive.
That is why I posted that particular fish. ALL the fish had ick. And it wasn't just a few spots every here and there, they were covered in it. Then this guy.
I do not like that place.

florida joe

I am in no way a big supporter of ***** but I am an even less of a supporter for high shipping costs. I am one of the lucky ones that have at least 5 good saltwater only stores with in a 45 min drive that being said you can go to you local ***** look through their book of saltwater fish you can buy ask when they get their shipments in also ask them not to remove the fish from the shipping bag and take your chances that way

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2546610
I am in no way a big supporter of ***** but I am an even less of a supporter for high shipping costs. I am one of the lucky ones that have at least 5 good saltwater only stores with in a 45 min drive that being said you can go to you local ***** look through their book of saltwater fish you can buy ask when they get their shipments in also ask them not to remove the fish from the shipping bag and take your chances that way
Good point, and great idea.
I try to support the family owned businesses as much as I can. Luckily for me, we have a family owned very nice LFS here and the guy understands the competition of the internet so he actually prices stuff very close to online prices. I too have a lot of stores near me, so I am lucky. But for those that don't, your idea is a good one.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have found the online experience to pretty much be top quality and less money for most things, even when factoring the shipping. The exception would be heavy items such as salt, sand bags, etc. Best prices, best customer service, best return polices. Even the best LFS can rarely top online, except, of course, by offering the customer the actual visual references for products. LFS basically offer no guarantee for live animals, and pretty much give most a hard time for returned dry goods.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2546645
I have found the online experience to pretty much be top quality and less money for most things, even when factoring the shipping. The exception would be heavy items such as salt, sand bags, etc. Best prices, best customer service, best return polices. Even the best LFS can rarely top online, except, of course, by offering the customer the actual visual references for products. LFS basically offer no guarantee for live animals, and pretty much give most a hard time for returned dry goods.
Beth I thought this was a post about the purchase of live fish at ***** and not a discussion about LFS apposed to an on line store but I guess I am wrong again so let me say this, take a Kole Tang for instance simply because it’s the last fish I purchased, at Fish Central here in Fl those of you in the area feel free to call and check on my validity of pricing. $35. Now lets take an on line store. SWF for sake of argument. Their price is $49.99 and I cannot even get this fish if I do not purchase more then $79.99 in lives stock and I have to add on $9.99 fuel charge to my minimum purchase. All the LFS I deal with rely on return costumers for their survival. I can get the same two-week refund on fish that have died also an added bonus of a store credit for fish that you buy and turn out not suitable for you tank and you bring back. As far as a return policy on dry goods either you can or you cant return it I don’t think there is a best. As far as costumer service IMO I would rather talk to someone in person then hope for a response via E-mail

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2546748
Beth I thought this was a post about the purchase of live fish at ***** and not a discussion about LFS apposed to an on line store but I guess I am wrong again
I think she was simply giving the opposed opinion/experience of me stating that "I try to support the mom and pops fish store" comments.
All threads will trail a little.