you ever stop to think...

renogaw

the departed?? My wife left the room because of all the swearing, and omg, everyone gets shot in the head at the end. great end of a movie...
eternal sunshine makes me produce bile every time i think of it. american beauty--yea, lets make a movie about wanting to have --- with a minor.
i haven't seen ray, which is supposed to be good, and haven't heard of crash.
Swordfish was a great movie. I like the Bourne series so far, but honestly i haven't thought of many recent movies (past few years) that compare at all with movies from the 90's. there's just no originality anymore.

grips

Originally Posted by renogaw
the departed?? My wife left the room because of all the swearing, and omg, everyone gets shot in the head at the end. great end of a movie...
eternal sunshine makes me produce bile every time i think of it. american beauty--yea, lets make a movie about wanting to have --- with a minor.
i haven't seen ray, which is supposed to be good, and haven't heard of crash.
Swordfish was a great movie. I like the Bourne series so far, but honestly i haven't thought of many recent movies (past few years) that compare at all with movies from the 90's. there's just no originality anymore.
My point is that this isn't the first time that huge box office movies are dumb. They were dumb in the 80's and smart in the 90's. It cycles. Dumb movies are not going to lead to the demise of western civilization.
As far as my movie list goes... I like them all. My wife loved The Departed and American Beauty, as did I. I thought Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was intriguing and made you think.
In the end does it really matter?

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by Pontius
want to elaborate on those statements?
certainly.
in the 80's we had the rise of the "hair bands", which was a joke in itself.
also, with the invention of MTV and music vids, music was no longer about the content as the "marketable image".
in terms of the "hip hop- < 1996" comment, that is more of a personal theory.
that was the year that i graduated hs, and i remmber bumping some das efx and supposed "hip hop" fanatic told me to turn that garbage off. it was then, that i realized that hip hop has gone to the dumper as well.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by reefreak29
yes i do , u are what? 18 so you are the next generation and your listening to it. my 15 year old nephew listens to pink floyd. people will alays listen to the good stuff

i think you will find more of this than you think.
baby boomers were big into the 60' and 70's music, and i think it rubs off on the kids.
last year, i was at our complex pool, and i heard 3- 12 year olds discussing the eagles.
i was impressed.

pontius

Originally Posted by grips
What about The Departed, Crash, American Beauty, Ray, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? There have been many intelligent movies in the last 12 years.
Do you remember the huge action movie blitz in the 80's? Stallone, Van Damme, Schwarzenegger, Segal? I wouldn't exactly call these movies intelligent, but they were topping the box office. They must have been dumbing down in the 80's too.
I think everything cycles. I'm hoping that music is going to have a huge influx of brilliant records soon. Maybe this "clubbing" rap crap is just the disco of the 00's.
American Beauty was a late 90s movie
The Departed was pretty good, but it's a remake of an Asian movie so it's not really like it's all that original
Eternal Sunshine was god awful and almost unwatchable
Ray was good, but it's a biopic, biopics are made in every generation
yeah though, for the most part the 80s were very dumbed down. the movies and the music. any time somebody like Poison or Warrant tops the charts, that's proof.
I'[m not saying there are no more good movies or music being made now, but it's more rare than it was a decade ago.

pontius

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
certainly.
also, with the invention of MTV and music vids, music was no longer about the content as the "marketable image".
in terms of the "hip hop- < 1996" comment, that is more of a personal theory.
that was the year that i graduated hs, and i remmber bumping some das efx and supposed "hip hop" fanatic told me to turn that garbage off. it was then, that i realized that hip hop has gone to the dumper as well.
AC/DC was one of the first to start the "hair metal" thing (the sound, not the image). and few would deny that AC/DC are great. but then it so popular that anybody could make that kind of music and sell records, and that's when it became a joke.
same thing with the "grunge" music. originally, it was great. but then it got so popular that rich kids from Ft Lauderdale were wearing flannel and putting out records about how depressed they are, and then it went down hill. oversaturation.
even rap/rock was ok with Rage and Korn. then Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and all that crap comes out and again, oversaturation.
but no, rock never died. like Neil Young said "hey hey, my my rock and roll will never die"

grips

Originally Posted by Pontius
American Beauty was a late 90s movie
The Departed was pretty good, but it's a remake of an Asian movie so it's not really like it's all that original
Eternal Sunshine was god awful and almost unwatchable
Ray was good, but it's a biopic, biopics are made in every generation
yeah though, for the most part the 80s were very dumbed down. the movies and the music. any time somebody like Poison or Warrant tops the charts, that's proof.
I'[m not saying there are no more good movies or music being made now, but it's more rare than it was a decade ago.
My fault, American Beauty was released in 99 and got the award for best movie in 2000. Apparently I have terrible taste in movies.
I am also apparently VERY bored at work as I am arguing with complete strangers on the internet about how stupid/intelligent movies and music have been in the past few decades.
wow........

pontius

Originally Posted by grips
My fault, American Beauty was released in 99 and got the award for best movie in 2000. Apparently I have terrible taste in movies.
I am also apparently VERY bored at work as I am arguing with complete strangers on the internet about how stupid/intelligent movies and music have been in the past few decades.
wow........
who said you have bad taste in movies? I just said that Eternal Sunshine was awful. I liked Departed, Ray, and Crash. I just didn't like Eternal Sunshine and I pointed out that American Beauty was from the last decade, not the current one (btw, American Beauty would easily be in my top 10 favorite movies ever).
but that's not to say good movies aren't still being made. Little Miss Sunshine, Closer, Letters From Iwo Jima, Pan's Labrynth, Apocalypto are all great movies that have been made in the last year or 2. but those aren't the types of movies that are blockbusters. nowadays, the dumb movies like the pointless comedies or the remakes of 1970s horror movies are the ones that are making the big bucks. even the animated movies now aren't as smart or original as they used to be (though I do give props to the Shrek franchise for being pretty original).

f14peter

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
certainly.
Cowfish, you made me laugh out loud. My cousin is a professional musician and has played a wide variety of styles. Indeed, back in the late 80s he went through his "hair band" phase. Even sent me a band picture and it was classic ... the long hair, the leather codpieces, the laced up gauntlets, spandex tights, the whole ball of wax!
Now he's making a decent living now playing small-club jazz and blues out of the LA area with a semi-regular gig in Las Vegas ... my how times have changed.