You Guys Would Know What Todo, Help?

raseri

Alrighty, I have a problem, and I thought I'd ask for help from the great hitchhiker experts. We have an emerald crab in our tank. A pretty big one, and we wanna get home out without tanking out everything and trying to catch this guy with a net. We put him in when he was an itty bitty guy, and suddenly he was big, xD. So do you guys have some suggestions on it? We would definitely appreciate it. Thank you guys so much, :).

btldreef

That picture is NOT an Emerald crab.
that is a very bad crab, emeralds do not have black tips on their claws.

meowzer

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Just look at the face on that thing

Get it out.....quick....however possible....you can probably put food in a net...and lure it in

socalnano24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i http:///forum/thread/380120/you-guys-would-know-what-todo-help#post_3307476
Awww it looks so cute and fuzzy!

HAHAHAHAHA; I got in trouble for laughing while my gf and I are watching Dexter.

I agree; definitley NOT an emerald crab. Those are hardcore carnivore claws. Remove when you can; maybe a LFS will want it; try to keep him for now in a temporary tank and you can always post on the boards and some may want him.

btldreef

My best suggestion for trying to get it out would be to feed it. Get it used to the idea of it being fed, and then once it is, pull it out. If you know what rock it hangs out in, pull the whole rock. You need to get that guy out.
It's not an emerald crab, so if this looks like a bigger version of what you once bought, do NOT go to that LFS again. My feeling is that your emerald crab is still in your tank, OR this guy ate it and that this crab is a hitchhiker, as most of them are.

raseri

He doesn't come out when we do the normal feeding.. Anyone know what kind of crab he is? And what kind of food should we try and lure him into a net with. Cause he does come out every once in a while.. But he's quick.. Does anyone know of a good trap maybe?..

S

smartorl

You sleep with that thing in the room?

Kidding, but he does look scary.

S

smartorl

I found a photo just like yours on a competing forum, I'm browsing now to see if there was any progress in naming the monster.

cranberry

I can't see the picture right now on this netbook, but does he look something like this?.... I saw the word "fuzzy".

doggie

That thing looks awesome.

I too think it's a gorilla crab.
I've caught about 6 of them out of my tank in that last year.
I noticed they always went to the top of my rock work at night, when the lights went out. So I started feeding them with a pair of tongs. It took awhile for them to trust me but they aren't real smart.
Once they got used to the feedings I just scooped them up with a net. Hold the tongs with one hand in front of the crab and come behind it with a net with the other hand, or get someone to help you, lol.
You have to be pretty forceful while scooping, these guys can really hold on to the rocks. I gave 3 to my neighbor. He has a huge aggressive tank that he put them in. I have 2 in my sump.
the ones in my sump aren't shy anymore. As soon as the doors open to stand they come running to the front to get fed.

It almost looks like your crab smiled for the picture, lol

raseri

I just wanted to let your guys know that we got him out.. We did have to take out alot of the rock though.. But it made for a good cleaning. :p We eventually cornered him, and scooped him with the net, he was a vicious little guy. :p He had a bunch of our little frags in his hole. We found like 6 mushrooms, :p. And now he's in the refugium, chilling with our shrimp. The first thing the shrimp did was start cleaning him, but thanks alot for you help guys, :D.

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raseri http:///forum/thread/380120/you-guys-would-know-what-todo-help#post_3310287
I just wanted to let your guys know that we got him out.. We did have to take out alot of the rock though.. But it made for a good cleaning. :p We eventually cornered him, and scooped him with the net, he was a vicious little guy. :p He had a bunch of our little frags in his hole. We found like 6 mushrooms, :p. And now he's in the refugium, chilling with our shrimp. The first thing the shrimp did was start cleaning him, but thanks alot for you help guys, :D.
It might kill your shrimp.