You Know You Are Slow When....

promisetbg

I walked in the room and saw xenia cruising across the front of the tank and thought :notsure: {I could'nt see the snail at first, because he was very near the top
}Thanks, ..it is a 75 gal. Mr. G.

coachklm

many snails/crabs will adopt anemones for protection from aggrssors.. never seen it with xenia though...lol

promisetbg

Originally Posted by BLAZEHOK68
i had a scarlet hermit with some xenia on it once. eventually the xenia withered away
After taking the pic I peeled it off. I only grow xenia on my glass for nutrient export...could'nt have that piece falling off to a rock somewhere. Although it was really on there! :scared: Thanks for the nice compliment clownfish4.

That is awesome when you see something like that. Better not let my snails see that or they will all want xenia also. How bout a full tank pic. Looks like a gorgeous tank.
Rich

promisetbg

Thanks lobstergrabber! Now I want to know what is going on? :notsure: I just looked and there are two more snails with xenia today..LOL! It's catching on as a fashion statement??

Here's my latest ...

That tank is truly beautiful. Would love to know the ins and outs of the whole set up just to see where I am in comparison. As far as the snails and xenia I told you the others would get jealous, now you have started a trend. Keep up the awesome work you have a remarkable tank.
Rich

promisetbg

Thanks for the kind words Rich. This tank was our first, so alot of the set up was afterthought. I have two other tanks, a 65 semi-aggressive reef, and a 12 gal nanocube.
It will be 4 years old in february of 07'. It has always had a slightly large bio-load, but mostly small fish like gobies. It has a 29 gal refugium which sits in an alcove next to the DT.. The fuge is teed off one of the main pumps, and feeds by gravity into the display. I have always fought one type of algae or another, presently it is the red velvety looking stuff that you can see on the middle rock. It's not perfect. The skimmer was upgraded to a Euro-reef CS5-2 and that has really improved the tank overall. Lighting is 2 X 250 Ushio 10K MH's on Blueline E- ballasts and 4X 110 URI actinic VHO's on an Icecap 660 ballast. All on Intermatic timers. There is an overflow box open system to the 20 gal. sump, which returns with a Blueline 1200 GPH external pump, and a closed loop on an 850 GPH Blueline external pump . Both sets of locline inputs have SCWDs. I recently added a modded 900 Maxi-jet for some additional flow which comes on and goes off with the MH's. I dose it every day with Ocean's Blend A+B and every third day with Ocean's Blend magnesium. A 20 gal WC is performed every week. A couple times a year new live sand is added to give the sandbed a boost, and replace what gets lost through light syphoning. That's about all I can think of...that's enough..LOL

Sounds like you really take care of it which I like a lot. So many set it up love it for months and then forget about it. Now that you say it has been up for 4 years it is easily noticeable do to yhe way everything has grown in. Kudos once again. As far as the red slime they usually say low flow helps it deposit. Might check out the flow in the one spot. I have much the same set up except 120 gallon acrylic and much bigger pumps. I am running two Dolphing ampmaster 3000's. And wishing I had more flow still. I just transferred my 40 gallon FOWLR that only housed two percs to the 120 about a month ago. Progress is slow but I blew all my money on equiptment instead of filling the tank which I think will be good in the end due to making me take time. I have taken a few pics and am trying to get tank specs and all listed and I will post a look what I got. Can't wait to get the sps thing going.
rich
BTW where in Fl?

promisetbg

I love my tanks. You should see all the progression pics of this tank as it has changed over the years from mostly softies with tons of GSP, to lots of huge digitatas and montipora caps that literally grew too big and out of the water, to the mixed soft,LPS,SPS that it is now. The algae is'nt red slime...it came from the refugium and is called asparagopsis taxiformis. I have it about beat finally in the fuge, but am still battling what made it's way into the DT. I live in Orlando.

Oh my mistake. I guess even macro algaes can be a pain. At any time you are having problems with your corals getting too big I would be more than happy to take a frag or twelve off your hands. Hopefully going to Lake Worth here next month to look at the real reef. Maybe get some Neon gobies and I need some brittle stars as well. Mostly though Lobster season starts the fifth and I just can't help grabbin those bugs. Happy Reefing
Rich