Your Best Aquarium Stories Featured Monthly!

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
We at Saltwaterfish.com would like to hear about your success stories!
We will even feature our favorite story every month and offer a $25 gift certificate to the writer.
Please write a short story about an experience you have had in your journey of reef keeping! No topic requirements other than it be relevant to your marine life aquarium. Please keep it between 100-500 words. Short/Story.
We hope you will enjoy sharing with each other as much as we will enjoy reading! Thank you for your participation. You may submit more than one story, no rules!

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks! -Mary-

travelerjp98

This is pretty cool. I have a question: Are the stories limited to just reefkeeping, or can they be all marine life in general? Can it be a story about something that happened on here?

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly#post_3429124
This is pretty cool. I have a question: Are the stories limited to just reefkeeping, or can they be all marine life in general? Can it be a story about something that happened on here?
I suppose it could be a story of an experience on the board. Other examples would be:
~how your hobby has affected your family, spouse, or other pets
~something you had to fix
~a water change experience/ good or bad
~your teaching someone the hobby
~how your tank is therapeutic to you
~how a major catastrophe affected your aquarium(hurricane/tornado/flood)
Let's get it going!
There is no limit of the number of stories you can enter...or tell.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
~ Ever since I was little I had a passion for keeping fish. I think it likely started with a Betta because my parents could help me with that. It wasn't critical to do anything with structure if you know what I mean. My enjoyment led to other set-ups like guppy tanks, community freshwater tanks. When I was much younger, before I was married, my husband and I had turtles. What a mess! We had them for years and when they got too big, we gave them to our neighbor who released them into her large pond. Well, at some point they had babies and there were little turtles all over her back yard.
It's been I would say about 13 years since I set up my first marine aquarium. I remember it was a 60 gallon and I got a lion fish, an eel, and a grouper. I was working at the local pet store at the time and had a friend teach me the basics. From that point, I knew I was hooked. I have had a marine aquarium ever since. Looking back, we have returned so many lion fish that "outgrew" out tanks. Other fish outgrew our tanks too but none grew faster than the lion fish. My husband liked to feed them and the eels, you know, the tough manly fish. We had a party one time and he had to feed the (large" eel by hand to show all of his buddies how cool it was. I would always worry just a little...
People that are coming over to our house for the first time are amazed of course, I can feel their excitement. Our friends bring their kids over just to see the fish. The one thing that drives me crazy is how a repair person will come in and start talking to my husband about it as if its his deal. He always gives me me due credit though. He'll say that I do it all and then they are really intrigued and start asking questions. What really impresses me though is when I hear someone ask my husband a question about a certain fish or what type of fish and he doesn't hesitate, he knows the answers. I love that!
My husband and I will always have a marine aquarium if not two or three...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly#post_3428746
We at Saltwaterfish.com would like to hear about your success stories!
We will even feature our favorite story every month and offer a $25 gift certificate to the writer.
Please write a short story about an experience you have had in your journey of reef keeping! No topic requirements other than it be relevant to your marine life aquarium. Please keep it between 100-500 words. Short/Story.

We hope you will enjoy sharing with each other as much as we will enjoy reading! Thank you for your participation. You may submit more than one story, no rules!

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks! -Mary-

Bummer....all my good stories are screw ups. LOL...I have a ton of those stories.

rainbow grouper

Our tank is therapeutic to me i that no matter how stressful or how bad a day has been for me i can sit down and the tank glued to the glass and lose myself in the reef/marine world to wash away all sorrowful and/or sad thoughts. Watching the graceful way in which the tangs glide through the water or the way Dolsey (Talbot damsel) beating her shadow up. The way the blue damsels go blotchy defending a territory then to finish the show off the tear streak clown goby darting through the water to our Zoanthids. After that, the cats start hitting the glass trying to catch the fish which brings me back to the real world LOL.

flower

Okay here is my story....I'm calling it a good memory to keep
My new seahorse tank was all set up. Nothing really great about doing that, or so I figured. My granddaughters came to visit and the oldest was looking at the horses. She told me it was the coolest tank ever, that it was so pretty it belonged in a magazine or something.
LOL…she is 16, and loves her Nana, she has never seen the tanks I have on SWF.com. I don’t take her words to heart, but it was a pretty tank, just not magazine worthy. I told her how I came up with the ledge to put rocks on, and that the columns were from my wedding cake décor when I used to make cakes. I explained how I painted them, and attached the seahorse feeding dish at the top of the pillar. I purchased a pavilion to set in the front and pull it all together for the look I wanted. She was thrilled to listen to my banter...I don't know why.
Later that evening we were in my room talking and she say’s “Oh look, the seahorses are swimming around!” so I turn to look. The male was doing his dance around the female as all three of my granddaughters watched and they made a circle and held tails right in the center of the tank….so graceful.
Next thing I know all three kids are running to the living room to tell their mother to come quick and see how beautiful they are…their voices just gushing with awe. The horses had gone to another area and stopped by the time the kids got mom off the sofa to come see.
The incident reminded me of the beauty that drew me to the hobby in the first place. The simple thrill of seeing an unusual creature right in your own home, and how beautiful they are. It also made a fantastic memory of me with the children, and I know they will never forget their Nana or my fish tank, and long after I’m gone they will talk about the magic beauty of the dancing seahorses….maybe someday they will get a SW tank of their own.

S

siptang

Oh crap... I missed the word count... should I edit? Well.. I don't really care for the reward (if I get it, awesome, if not I could live without it lol), I just wanted to share my story with you guys since you guys were so helpful, loving towards me.

S

siptang

Thanks guys.
BLT - you know what? Videos makes me cry still. But I smile at the thoughts of his video making others smile. It makes me proud.
edit: Added one more video just for you. I don't know if you want to but if you do, you can go to youtube.com/dearnathan for more videos.
About sharing my story, I didn't want to at first. I'm actually very private person (hard to believe I know) but you guys here at SWF embraced me so warmly, I wanted to share bit of my self with you. I'm glad that you guys enjoyed what I wrote... I actually trimmed this down tremendously so that you guys wouldn't get bored.
Next month, I will share a another story about my boy and stocking fish. I have so much memory with him and fish it's not even funny and I'm glad for every single one of them because they are so precious to me and it's special memories to me that he loved what I loved so much.

bubblegurl

Siptang, your story has brought me to tears! The pic you shared of you and your son is so beautiful, I can't even put into words. Thank you for sharing, I'm so sorry for your loss and am happy you find peace within your little ocean! Wow!

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly#post_3429435
Thanks guys.
BLT - you know what? Videos makes me cry still. But I smile at the thoughts of his video making others smile. It makes me proud.
edit: Added one more video just for you. I don't know if you want to but if you do, you can go to youtube.com/dearnathan for more videos.
About sharing my story, I didn't want to at first. I'm actually very private person (hard to believe I know) but you guys here at SWF embraced me so warmly, I wanted to share bit of my self with you. I'm glad that you guys enjoyed what I wrote... I actually trimmed this down tremendously so that you guys wouldn't get bored.
Next month, I will share a another story about my boy and stocking fish. I have so much memory with him and fish it's not even funny and I'm glad for every single one of them because they are so precious to me and it's special memories to me that he loved what I loved so much.
Very touching story.
Well, I'm out. Siptang has this thing wrapped up for the next six months. lol

novahobbies

Siptang, thank you for sharing that. It touched my heart, and though I can only imagine your pain, I just wanted you to know that your family will be in my prayers.