Your Best Aquarium Stories Featured Monthly!

mr. limpid

I was going to enter but Siptang, story needs to stand alone. Siptang my prayers are with you and your family.

mr. limpid

I will Flower next month, but as respect to Siptang I decline this month. No disrespect to you and the others that enter there stories, before or after Siptang's entry.

S

siptang

Bubblegirl - Thank you so much for your kind words.
Seth - Thanks buddy.
Lois - You have been there since the incident and I thank you Lois.
Novahobbies - Thanks for reading. I really am happy that so many people have got to know my son for who he was. I get emotional whenever I talk about him or think about him but I'm really glad that he's getting so much love and the fact that more people are getting to know him. I really do appreciate your prayers. As a believer, that's the best thing the one can do for another.
JP - It's ok buddy.
Flower - Please do not remove your story. I really like it and I really dig your sea horse tank picture. It makes me want one in fact.
Mr. Limpid - Please do post your story because that's what this forum is all about, sharing ideas, tips and stories and I would love to hear yours since you have been doing this for a WHILE. I'm positive you have many good ones. Also I want to thank you for being there for me. I don't know if you remember but as soon as I came back from the incident, you were the one who gave me tips about my clown trigger and my tank and I will always thank you for that.
Guys, please do post more stories. I would love to get to know you guys more.
I will of course post more as well.

rainbow grouper

Siptangs story is more touching than anything else. I am deeply sorry for his loss and thank you for sharing your private life with us that must have been extremely hard i don't even have words to express how sorry i am.

S

siptang

Thanks RG, I really appreciate you.
This video doesn't involve a fish or a tank but I posted up here to show how excited he was when he would meet a new animal. He would scream and giggle with excitement made me almost scared alot of times when he would chase my friend's 90 pound black lab and yank on her tail while screaming in a high pitch voice. He just loved animals so much... It pains me so much watching this and sharing this actually but makes me glad at the same time because it reminds me of him when he was so full of life not when I was crying and trying to bring him back to life while clinging onto his lifeless body. (For first couple of months, that's all I saw and I was suicidal at one point)
Sharing him and talking about him some how helps me and I thank you guys for allowing me to share my joy with you guys.
Now, getting back to the topic!
Post some stories guys!

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Siptang,
Thank you so much for sharing. We appreciate your story in its entirety! All at SWF.com are just in awe of the depth of your great character. Please continue telling stories. Thank you!

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
This is definitely an opportunity to tell everyone about a story or situation perhaps of great success or great failure...(like when I left the siphon on autopilot and it had detached from the sink and when I realized... I had 30 gallons of dirty fish water on my tile floor...)
Nobody can better relate to your stories than your fellow hobby buddies!
Keep them coming!
Thanks!

S

siptang

ladyreef- Such a big kind words, I don't know if I deserve all those. I'm just a regular everyday Joe trying to fight a good fight every day and I wanted to share with everyone how therapeutic our tanks are and how good they are to us even though we don't realize at times. Thanks for reading my story and don't worry, I will keep on writing.

meowzer

OK...Here is my "FAILURE" story
"Do Not Do As Meowzer Did"
....I did a very foolish thing, and want to make sure NO ONE else does something as DUMB as I just did.
SOOOO, I will share this so maybe someone else won't make the same IDIOTIC mistakes..and YES I feel like a hypocrite....
WELL....A couple of months ago I got a Puffer for my 54G....so cute I couldn't resist it...NOPE NO QT (mistake #1) A couple of weeks ago, I noticed what looked like ich

Decided to try to use vitamins and see if Health could fight it off....My 2 blue reef chromis disappeared as did my new blue cleaner wrasse.....
THEN....KNOWING BETTER....I decided to try an organic cure (BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!!) and my fishies. This was yesterday....I woke up this morning to a tank full of DEAD FISH.....The Puffer, clown, flame hawk, lemonpeel angel, 2 yellow clown gobies and PJ Cardinal...ALL DEAD!!!!.....
The only thing alive is the longfin sleeper goby....and inverts...OH and corals......Monday mornings I do not have a lot of time....BUSY day for me at work...BUT I managed to dig all my dead fish out....and I started 10G's of fresh SW....When I get home tonight I will do a W/C and make up another batch for tomorrow too.
TODAY: The Goby is in hypo right now, and in the process of bringing the salinity back up....the DT has been empty for 6 weeks now.
READ THE DISEASE SECTION....and FOLLOW IT COMPLETELY...........
That's the end of my fateful story.....I killed all my fish, and have no one to blame but myself........
p.s.....DON'T EVER BUY HERBTANA

mr. limpid

Wow, Siptang you have a better memory than I, but then I'm an old fart. In saying that I will submit a story I do have a few the problem is remembering them, LOL But it wont be the best one because it wont win, you have this month sowed up.
Once upon a time well actually 30years ago. My future wife bought me a 30gal fish tank for my birthday, with a note saying free trip to LFS for fish and equipment. The gentleman at the store asked me fresh water or salt water. In surprise I asked salt water, then he pointed to a handful of tanks that had a rainbow of colorful fish and taking one look at the fresh water fish and then back at the rainbow I said salt water. Thus my adventure started. Back 30 years ago fish would sit at the LFS for weeks, you could visit each week to see your fish to see how it was doing and after 2 or three weeks you would take him or she home. There was no need for QT’ing our new fish, but not today, fish will arrive usually on Thursday and by Monday most of the fish are gone. My dilemma was not having a lot space left over under my tank for not another tank. The only tank that would fit was a 10gal. tank, so I purchased your basic 10gal set up. Cycled it, then tried it out with a pair of percula clown fish, needless to say your basic 10gal. hang on filter doesn’t have the capacity to hold enough bio material for any size fish. I went thru an entire bottle of AmQuel and tons of water changes; they made it out of the QT from hell. After giving it a lot of thought, I figured that all I need to do was to make the filter container large enough to hold more bio material. Using a plastic glove box with a small water pump and letting gravity do the return I had a container large enough. Since this time I have successfully QT’d 2 butterflies; 3 tangs and 2 yellow tailed damsels.

S

siptang

Meozer - I definitely understand your pain. I had to go through that several times myself those, herbal ich and watered down medications do not work at all.... it always stinks to lose your little friends. Specially if you had them for a while.
Mr Limpid - great story! Hmm must have been nice that fish stores qted your fish before lol. I wish they do that now everywhere.
Nova - Hey another SoFL reefer here! What part of Boca do you live in?

rainbow grouper

Copied and pasted off my link
I felt the need to talk about my old tank even after all these months since although every-things done and dusted i want to share with you me and my mums amazing journey through SW. Here it is.
first tank when my dad went to fetch it i was really excited 75 gallon bow front stocking list
1 spot domino damsel
1 tomato clown-fish
1 ebili angel
1 yellow tang
The tank started as an FOWLR and when the tank was being set up we noticed a nem that had appeared from nowhere the clown fish took to it immediately.

The great bristle worm infestation

This was a problem bristle worms were everywhere i am sure many people on this board know the bristles are a great member of the CUC Not this time we had loads so 2 weeks after we got it (the infestation was noticed as soon as the sand had settled) we started to cure the rock and clean out the tank no water no sand no nothing (The temporary residence for the fish was a 30 gallon the fish were only in for about a 4 days whilst the rock was cured ) with no substrate and no rock-work water-changes where done daily. (tang police please do not come for me).
After that everything went smoothly untill we lost the eibli angel and gave the domino away. Then we had a bit of good luck the clown got less timid and then we lost him to ick.(we have lost a lot of fish and ever dingle one was lost to ick). One day i came home from school to find him sitting in a glass bowl ( we sold the 30 gallon so that we had more money for the tank ) The bowl was a makeshift qurantine. unfortunately he didn't make it and he died the next day. Once the clown had died Mum decided to get a bigger tank the 140 but thats another story.
P.S tang police that was when we were inexperienced hobbyists.

S

siptang

Lol, you always put tang police after every post about your early days of your tank.
does it bother you that much?

bubblegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/20#post_3429729
This is definitely an opportunity to tell everyone about a story or situation perhaps of great success or great failure...(like when I left the siphon on autopilot and it had detached from the sink and when I realized... I had 30 gallons of dirty fish water on my tile floor...)
Ha, I just did that last night, except I was the auto pilot - while doing a water change on my qt tank, I got a work call. Continued with siphoning water, cleaning the tank as I went, all of a sudden I hear water pouring on my floor, turn around, the sink was plugged with a cloth. Good thing it was only about 5 gallons, 15 bath towels later, floors and under sink were dry. Then a wait and see game to see if the hardwood floors sustained any damage....thankfully, they are fine. Tried to balance refilling the qt tank, drying floors at the same time. See what happens when you play hookie from work......
And, my daughters room is in the basement, right underneath the sink, now her room got quite wet. Told her I was preparing to turn her room into an aquarium when she moves out, just practicing auto water changes from the top floor, she is not impressed.

jerth6932

We have had the conversation before Sip.... You have endured something I don't think I could. All the things I go though with my wife, do not touch what you had to endure. No where close. I am glad you have found comfort in sharing your story, it helps with inner peace and some closure for the pain.
My entry:
Chelsea, my wife was diagnosed with endometriosis and poly cystic ovaries and her OBGYN stated that she had slim chances to getting pregnant. So we began to try, and my wife told me that I could have a fish tank if and when we got pregnant. It took almost a year but early December 05 she found out she was pregnant. I got my tank December 12 of 2005, it was a 24 gallon JBJ tank. Over the next 8 months I was able to get my 24 gallon running sufficiently. The birth of my son borough on new responsibilities and my new tank was left to fend for its self and a chicken nugget in my salt water, water change water, that I was told by him when he did it, he ran to me and said "Were da chin nugut go?", as he was only 1 and a half, and had thrown his chicken nugget in there. I gave up on any maintenance and let it just run unattended.
Fast forward to 2008, Micah, my son was able to speak a little better, walked up to the tank and pointed at it. Looked at me. I walked over and looked at my tank that just had a circulation pump running, half filled up, no light on and very filled with green hair algae. I said to him "Fish Tank!" He looked at me puzzled, and mumbled "Where da nemo at?"
It was hard for me, it made me cry. It was like I had let everything go to do all I could for him, but he wanted a simple enjoyment, a nemo.
I have since gotten the 24 gallon running, been through HIS 55 gallon, to a shared 90g by him and his sister Maili.

S

siptang

Jerth - Hey buddy yea, I remember our conversations.
Honestly, I feel the same way towards you and your trials. I don't know how well I can fare to see my wife suffer every day. All those trips to the ER, honestly, your stories put me in more optimistic perspective when I feel depressed. Fear of losing your spouse to me is far more scarier and that you have to endure it day in and day out, I know it must be taxing.
I pray that your wife will get healed soon and that you guys would be able to enjoy long prosperous lives watching your little ones grow.
I want to thank you guys once more for being here for me for me to rant and to listen to my rambles.
I swear to you, because of you guys, my pain is being numbed. (I don't think I will ever forget or it will heal but I think in time it will get numb and I can get somewhat used to it)
Richard.

travelerjp98

Wow, you 2 really help teach me the true meaning in life, not to pick at the small things, and I appreciate it a lot. Thank you.
Do you mind if I tell this story to a couple of family members that need to learn what I learned from you guys? I won't include names or anything...