Your hammer coral location(s)

speg

Just picked up a huge hammer coral today for 32 bucks and im checkin around and seeing it should be placed on the bottom.... I have seen lots of hammers placed mid-way in the tank.. was curious what experiences people have had with theirs in different locations and such.

puffer32

Mine is at the top because i only have pc lighting, would rather put him down further, what does everyone think? I have 260 pc lighting.

speg

What size is your tank? They do not require metal halide lighting, pc is ok with these as long as your lights go with your size tank.

reefnut

I have mine about half way up in a 55g under PCs. My branching hammer is currently my favorite LPS I have... I got it for a 6g nano I was running at the time. It started as a single head and now has split into 4. It's growing rather slow so I may move it to the top of the rocks?!
They do not require MHs but they will do well under them!!

reefnut

Originally Posted by puffer32
I have a 75. Does the hammer look alittle pale to you?
It does a little but what lighting is it under??

speg

I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted a green branching hammer.. but when I inquired bout the prices of one around here... 74 dollars.. so I went to another place with just a regular hammer and it was 32.. so I had to take it. Is there a way to propagate a normal hammer? To me it doesnt look possible :p

puffer32

it looked greener when i first got it. I also like the darker green like yours reefnut, didn't even know they came in colors. Oh well, just have to get another one i guess, i will leave mine where it is, seems to be doing fine there, i guess :notsure: its supposed to look pale.

oceana

i keep ours about lower to mid tank does great.
the branches are pushed into a crack on the rocks so that onyl the head show. we got him with 4 head and now there are 8

reefnut

Speg, it is possible to frag a anchor hammer but it is difficult... not something I would recommend.
puffer, how long have you had the hammer?? If it's new I would just give it time and it should darken back up.
oceana, what lighting is it under??

oceana

250hqi
2x96 pc
here is a before and after pic
first is right after we got it
second is yesterday