Your opinions of UV Sterilizers

dinogeorge

I am thinking about adding UV sterilizers to my 125 and 220 fish only tanks. In the past I have used ozone, but honestly could not see any measurable difference between that tank and my others. I maintain good water quality but I want to add just another layer of security for my livestock.
I know how they are "supposed" to work, but I would like to hear from experts on this. Do any of you have some input on the value or effectiveness of UV?
Thanks.

ophiura

A UV sterilizer will not, IMO, prevent diseases due to the absence of good husbandry, QT, diet, water quality, fish stocking and selection, etc. And if you have all the above, the need for a UV is marginal, IMO. I tend to feel the money is better spent elsewhere, but for sure if you use one, the flow rate through it must be researched for what you are trying to kill.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ophiura
A UV sterilizer will not, IMO, prevent diseases due to the absence of good husbandry, QT, diet, water quality, fish stocking and selection, etc. And if you have all the above, the need for a UV is marginal, IMO. I tend to feel the money is better spent elsewhere, but for sure if you use one, the flow rate through it must be researched for what you are trying to kill.
I 100% agree