Your tank could be featured in a book!

snakeblitz33

Hello everyone! I encourage as many people to participate in this short survey of your aquarium and your philosophy of keeping saltwater aquariums. I am currently in the long and drawn out process of writing a book for the saltwater aquarium hobby, and I need your help. If you have an established reef aquarium (1 year old or more), I would like to get a short survey from you. Your aquarium(s) could be selected and featured as a one page description to help your fellow hobbyists, both new and seasoned. Two photographs, preferably one of the whole display and one of your favorite critter. Below you will find a list of questions that are easy to fill out: simply copy and paste it into the reply. By posting, you understand that your aquariums information will be used in the book, and recognition will be given to either the screen name or, if privately messaged, the full name of the aquarium owner.

Size:
Dimensions:
Aquarium Age:
Stand Description:
Lighting and schedule:
Water Flow:
Parameters:
Equipment List:
Livestock List:
Maintenance Routine:
Philosophy of Reefkeeping:

Thank you!

A philosophy of reefkeeping could include your ideas for maintenance, what keeps your aquarium going, why you got into the hobby, what you would like to see in the future of the hobby and why people should get into the hobby.

trigger40

Size: 40 gallons
Dimensions: 31x13x23
Aquarium Age: 1 year and a month
Stand Description: oak with black paint 2x4 supports with two shelves
Lighting and schedule: led with blue and white light. light on from 7:45 am too 11pm.
Water Flow: 600 gph
Parameters: salinity: 1.024, ph: 8.1, ammonia: 0, nitrite: 0, nitrates: 10.
Equipment List: 200 wt fluval heater, marineland emperor 200 bio-wheel HOB filter, two 175 gph powerhead, blue white led light fixture.
Livestock List: 12 mushroom corals(varied), 2 kenya tree corals, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 camelback shrimp, 1 emerald crab,
3 nassarius snails, 3 reef hermit crabs, macroalgae.
Maintenance Routine: 10% biweekly water change, daily feeding.
Philosophy of Reefkeeping: i keep my tank on a two week schedule dont change the schedule, if i add a new critter i will add anouther water change to the cycle. what keeps my aquarium going is macroalgae. it keeps my water clean for inverts but my soft corals do need some nitrates to feed on so i do feed heavily. i plan to add fish soon but dont know what type yet. what got me into this hobby is the love for sport fishing. i love fishing and the ocean and i wanted a peice of that in my home. so i got a tank. i started out with damsels and a few hermit crabs then got a triggerfsh that i keep in a different tank. i took the damsels out and just keep inverts and soft corals. ever since all my corals and critters are happy and fat. i love looking into my aquarium and seeing my shrimp graze on my live rock and admiring the colors of my corals. i think every one would engoy having a peice of the ocean in their home.

my tank
IMG_6139.jpg

snakeblitz33

Absolutely. I'm going to let this thread float around for the next six months. I need as many entries as possible of successful reef tanks.

mandy111

Hello everyone! I encourage as many people to participate in this short survey of your aquarium and your philosophy of keeping saltwater aquariums. I am currently in the long and drawn out process of writing a book for the saltwater aquarium hobby, and I need your help. If you have an established reef aquarium (1 year old or more), I would like to get a short survey from you. Your aquarium(s) could be selected and featured as a one page description to help your fellow hobbyists, both new and seasoned. Two photographs, preferably one of the whole display and one of your favorite critter. Below you will find a list of questions that are easy to fill out: simply copy and paste it into the reply. By posting, you understand that your aquariums information will be used in the book, and recognition will be given to either the screen name or, if privately messaged, the full name of the aquarium owner.

Size:
Dimensions:
Aquarium Age:
Stand Description:
Lighting and schedule:
Water Flow:
Parameters:
Equipment List:
Livestock List:
Maintenance Routine:
Philosophy of Reefkeeping:

Thank you!

A philosophy of reefkeeping could include your ideas for maintenance, what keeps your aquarium going, why you got into the hobby, what you would like to see in the future of the hobby and why people should get into the hobby.
Size 7 x 2.5 x 2.5 Peninsular (upgrade 9 weeks ago from a 6 x 2 x 2 )
age - technically 9 weeks but upgrade from tank 18 months old
Stand - Stainless steel, double powder coated custom engineer designed rated 3 ton
Lighting - ATI programmable 8 x 80w sunrise at 2pm sundown 10.30pm
Water Flow - 2 x Maspect Gyers either end set at 60-80% pulse mode
Parameters - Sal 1.026 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0.02 Phos 0.03 cal 450 alk 8.6 mag 1250
Equipment list - Deltic TC 2060 skimmer
Tunze ATO
2 x 300w heaters connected to heater control box with 1 degree variance & auto fans if over 26 degrees
3 x TLF reactors - 1 x carbon 1 x rowaphos 1 x phosguard
3 seperate power boards each with separate clipsal safety switch
Marine magic 3 channel doser Cal 180mls day Alk 236mls a day Mag 155mls day
LIve Stock 1 x lipstick tang
1 x hippo tang
2 x yellow tang
1 x flame angel
1 x copperband
2 x green spotted dragonets
1 x cleaner wrasse
numerous snails and bristle worms etc
Maintenance - 250lt natural salt water changes every 21 days
Glass clean every couple of days
Reactors changed approx every 4 - 6 weeks
Rocks blown off every week
Sand bed stirred every water change
All corals target feed 1 x week dose seachem trace & plus bi-weekly as directed
Test all parameters weekly - salifert test everything except phosphates with Hanna Checker

Philosphy - To respect these beautiful creatures we take out of the ocean and not just make sure they survive but to make sure I do everything we can to let them
thrive.
Why Had freshwater for 18 months walked into LFS and fell in love with the colors of the fish & the amazing life in the corals
Would love to see sustainable reefing in the future, with more breeding and research on prorogation of corals. .

If I can answer any questions or be of any more help please dont hesitate to ask. Thanks for looking hope you enjoy .

First picture is the old 6 x 2 x 2 we shut down 8 weeks ago
Fulltank.jpg

This is the new build
009.JPG

1 week today 004.JPG

End.JPG

1guydude

Ya I'm gonna have to have doors on both sides of my hood/canopy... I bet. Gonna take it slow and 1 step @ a time here hopefully lol.
U have 1 heck of a maintenance plan.
Did u rattle can ur stand or take it to someone ?
Also pix of the beautiful plug in panels? I'd like a nice electrical this time...
I See a 1" sand bed?! I'm more bare bottom guy and thinking of doing a false sand this time epoxy a real light sugar Down...

I'm kinda helping u snakeblitz. Getting answers for ur book I'm too lazy to write. Lol
-d

mandy111

Ya I'm gonna have to have doors on both sides of my hood/canopy... I bet. Gonna take it slow and 1 step @ a time here hopefully lol.
U have 1 heck of a maintenance plan.
Did u rattle can ur stand or take it to someone ?
Also pix of the beautiful plug in panels? I'd like a nice electrical this time...
I See a 1" sand bed?! I'm more bare bottom guy and thinking of doing a false sand this time epoxy a real light sugar Down...

I'm kinda helping u snakeblitz. Getting answers for ur book I'm too lazy to write. Lol
-d
The maintenance doesn't take that long really, reactors all easy screw release, with tap connector pump attached. about 15 mins for all 3. The new Tunze Galss cleaner has cut the glass cleaning time down to about 10 mins inside & out.
I suppose its when you let it go it becomes a problem then the work starts, so rather keep on top of it now. lol

lol . no didn't rattle can our stand together(although it would have been cheaper to do it that way) . Carrying this kind of weight inside a house, not worth it. Went to an engineering company whom welded it from Stainless steel (because of rust factor with salt water ) . We then got it double powder coated.

Like you we are completely over DSB, eventually have to be changed, ugly as and hard to keep clean because cant be disturbed.
View attachment 844 View attachment 844
Her are some pics of the electrics. 3 power boards. 1 under the stand, other 2 on wall hidden at weir end with 3 x saftey switches.
Here is the stand before tank (excuse the old tank in the background, we bashed a wall down to get this tank and the wall was directly behind the old tank. so ugly as)
Stand.JPG

photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 5.JPG

We have a hose connector tap on the one return pipe for easy syphon emptying of the tank. click hose on straight to drain, then snap another hose on to return fresh salt water into the tank in through same return pipes. Straight from storage, no heating etc.
Downs with water change.JPG

Can do 250lt in approx 12 mins. We only use Natural sea water on this tank, and have a 1000lt water storage container outside for storage and changes.
Water change tap.JPG
IBC.JPG