Yuma Questions

kidreef

I am looking to get a orange yuma, but due to the recent readings of people loosing them to infection I am a little uneasy about spending $90 on 1 that could possibly die. Does anyone have any words of advice of how to insure I dont lose it? Also pictures of the ones you have would be pretty sweet as well.

rotarymagic

make sure your tank parameters are stable and an lugol's dip wouldn't hurt before putting it in the tank. A yuma is probably the only softy that I'd acclimate.
I'm actually looking at buying a $200 pink one so I feel your pain.. I'd be pretty distraught about losing it haha.

fireykat04

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2889370
make sure your tank parameters are stable and an lugol's dip wouldn't hurt before putting it in the tank. A yuma is probably the only softy that I'd acclimate.
I'm actually looking at buying a $200 pink one so I feel your pain.. I'd be pretty distraught about losing it haha.
Hey Rotary; what's a lugol's dip? I've heard of dipping corals before you put them in your tank to get rid of unwanted critters....

howardj

Here are some of mine, sorry for bad pics:
1st Pic - Parent Yuma in 10 gallon tank - 36w 50/50 T5's
2nd Pic - Parents' babies in 29 gallon tank - 96w 50/50 T5's

demartini

Originally Posted by kidreef
http:///forum/post/2884137
I am looking to get a orange yuma, but due to the recent readings of people loosing them to infection I am a little uneasy about spending $90 on 1 that could possibly die. Does anyone have any words of advice of how to insure I dont lose it? Also pictures of the ones you have would be pretty sweet as well.

I had a ton of yumas, but a lot of them died from infection... My local supplier gave me a few tips...
Make sure the mouth isn't gaping when you buy the yuma and when you first get it keep it in a quarantine tank or a fuge with no light for a couple days.

socal57che

Originally Posted by cal559
http:///forum/post/2892439
Do yumas spread fast?
They can. If they are upset and move...say for lighting upgrades, they tend to reproduce while moving by leaving pieces of it's foot behind as it moves. Each chunk grows into a new specimen. I had a purple yuma drop 4 kids in a few weeks as it moved. They look like the one in my avatar. It is the parent as it looked a couple years ago.

I bought 5 yuma as my first coral, I dont even think my tank was cycled. They did surprisingly well, and I had no problem with them. I still have three, I gave two to my best friend... Its been a good 4-5 months. None of them have split or spread though...

kidreef

Sorry I forgot about this thread, but thanks for all the advice. I won't be able to check the mouth though because I planed on ordering them so anything else that might indicate a healthy/unhealthy yuma?

boucherh

I bought what I think to be a Yuma (I can't tell for sure... It has stayed closed up for the most part). Do they move around a lot? Mine will not stay put! It was originally attached to a small piece of rock (which I puttied to a larger piece of live rock) but it moved. I have placed it in several other spots, but it moves. I have also wrapped a net around the piece of rock he was on (like I do with mushroom cuttings) hoping he would attach, but he won't! Any advice?