Zebra Eel - How much, How Often

ed d

I have had a zebra eel for about two years, He is about 22" long. I feed him every other day about 5-8 small to medium krill. A 4oz package lasts over a month. Does this sound like enough. The eel seems to be getting more and more aggressive during the feeding. Could this be because it is very hungry? Should I try to feed it until it won't eat any more.
The eel shares a 55G tank with 6 damsels, includiing one large sergent major damsel. Even with frequent water changes, the nitrate stay at about 40ppm. The tank has had this level of nitrates for over a year now. I don't want to feed the eel too much and further decrease the water quality levels.
Also, the eel only eats krill, I have tried other foods with no success, any other ideas. Several people have told me to stick with krill.

grouperhead

Feed until satiation 2-3 times a week. Once he doesn't want anymore, you're done feeding him. About 4 large krill should be good. Also feed other items such as clam, shrimp, squid, prime reef, aggressive formula, silversides, etc. Bo

fmarini

Ditto what Bo says.
You have to rotate in foods. I have Zebras as well, and they eat whole gulf shrimp w/ shell(shells are an important part of their diet). i also feed cracked crabs, crab meat, and crab claws(use blue "gumbo crabs" these are a regular crab which is beatup and not sellable at the seafood counter they use their parts in gumbos). i also feed squid, octi, rotate every other feeding is something new. One food type is almost a guarentee for problems down the road
I also say feed them a medium amount of food for your eel, approx 3 gulf shrimps worth, this will prolly not satiate him, but it will regulate its growth, your eels have another 8-10' of growth ahead of him. Most of the zebras I've seen are around 30-36" long.
Kinda funny my zebras let me know when they are hungry, they start cruising the tank, once fed you only see heads. Works out to 2 to 3 times a week.
frank

ed d

Thank You for the Advie. Mr. Eel is eating about twice what I was previously feeding him. I guess that explains what happened to some of his long term tank mates that had been with him for over a year and then mysteriuosly dissappeared.
I tried Squid about 6 months ago. Mr Eel would take it and spit it out. Next time at the LFS I will see what else they have.

fmarini

Next time at the LFS I will see what else they have.
Heck No....don't buy the food at the LFS...go to the grocery store. Its cheaper, fresher and smells better
frank

ed d

Frank and others,
Can I do that. I was told by a guy at a LFS that there is chemical added to seafood for human consumption that is toxic to fish. Has anyone else heard of this? Otherwise, I agree, grocery store bought seafood is much cheaper, ....

fmarini

HI:
what your LFS said is incorrrect. fresh seafood is fresh seafood. Why would you eat grocery-store bought food if its full of preservative(okay don't consider hotdogs), and in my opinion if it good enough for humans to eat why not feed it too your fish. Likek your fish has a better GI tract than humans?
I've been feeding grocery store bought seafoods for the past 10yrs. Only points to consider is don't buy seafood that is in a bottle or can, or is full of jalapeno peppers, like the cajun mixes. Also try to skip "party shrimp", or party crab meat
frank