Zebra hermits Q

bean 3

I was getting ready to increase my clean up crew and was considering some of the zebra hermits on this site. Does anyone have any experience with them: aggressiveness, willingness to kill other hermits.... I have scarlit hermits and reef hermits that all get along. I made the mistake when I first started the hobby by not supplying some additional shells and had some aggressive behavior displayed with a few casualties but nothing since then. I haven't lost a hermit in 6-7months. I just want to be sure I don't add a hermit species that will kill all the existing hermits but I would like something other than the scarlets and reef hermits. I don't want any bluelegs as I've heard the stories of everyones bluelegs killing scarlets. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks Bean1/2/3

michael7979

When they get bigger they seem to bully smaller crabs or so mine did. When they were small they didn't seem to be a problem. HTH

gregvabch

zebras are bullies, got some in my tank right now. i had actually had them in with my dwarf lion initially but they kept trying to grab him so i moved them to the other tank.

schlong33

For biodiversity, I stocked my clean up crew with blue legs and red legs to start out.
These did surprisingly well together at first (no dieoff), but the blues started to take over.
As my reds declined, I started to add zebras.
Now, out of about 75 hermits, my count is;
~40 zebras
~30 blue
~5 reds
~1 scarlet
The zebras and blue will get along, they don't seem to compete all that much. The zebras are definitely the most aggressive, with the blues next. I won't be adding any more reds to the tank, they can't compete. Scarlets I will add though.
My zebras seem to molt faster than any of the others, which then causes my snail pop to go down. Go figure. :rolleyes:
Honestly, I personally like the look of zebras, and will continue to stock them into my tank. But that is my own personal preference. They work the sand bed pretty good too.
My .02.

microman2k

YES! i dont like them at all! i spent $30 on scarlet crabs and now i have ONE left out of 10-15 all because of these little devils! and the blue legs and the zebras are always fighting and i am always finding their ugly shells all over my reef aquarium!:mad: