zebra hermits

meadbhb

Hiya,
Will zebra's get along with scarlets? Or am I asking for an all out war in my tank. There are plenty of shells in the tank for growth.
Meadbhb

bigarn

Zebras can be more violent than bluelegs....having empty shells won't matter in this case. I guess just like everything else..there are exceptions. :D

meadbhb

Hiya,
Well then, I won't be getting any of those. My scarlets are bad enough with the fighting with each other.
Meadbhb

jblabs

Before you dump them read this months Tropical Fish Hobbiest mag. Great section on hermits and they rate both the scarlet and the zebra (Calcinus seurati) as some of the safest, and as two that are great together.
No matter what one you pick you will find someone who says they are the worst.

22caddy

I have zebras, blue legs, red legs, and scarlets. Its very rare that I ever see them fighting and so far no fatalities. My one zebra is about 20 times larger than some of the others so he could very easily harm them, yet never has.

bigarn

Hmmm.....20x larger?:thinking:
You sure someone didn't drop a bowling ball in your tank?
Like I said, there are exceptions....just relaying info. :D

meadbhb

Hiya,
Thanks guys. My LFS said they would be safe with the scarlets, but I always like to pass things by you folks first. So far, everything they've told me pretty much matches up with this board.
Meadbhb

Zebra hermits are by far my favorite hermits out there. I will always have a few in the tank.
Do a search on the BB's for them . . . .

spline9

I have a pico tank with 1 scarlet and 2 zebras in it. So far no casualties but its only been 1.5 weeks running.
After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion that scarlets are the safest and hardest working but tend to stay on rocks. Zebras are semi-safe, very active but dont do much when it comes to cleaning. Blue-legs are straight up agressive. Red-legs I believe are also semi-agressive.