Zebra vs Snowflake moray

seapig

Are these two morays simular in behavior and eating habits? Is most of their time spent in the rocks or is one more prone to swim the tank during the day. I've seen lots on snowflakes and not so much on the Zebra. LFS has Zebra about 18". Good eater also. Which would the eel owners recomend....thanx

skirk

Welp, when I decided between the two I picked a snowflake. Reasons being:
1. While both like to hide in lr I believe the snowflake is more active and shows himself more.
2. The zebra can get close to 5ft long (too big for me).
3. Most importantly I think the snowflake just looks better then a zebra. Zebra's don't have a dorsal fin like the other morays (including the snowflake).
"Marine Fishes" by Michael states that zebra's "can be difficult to feed and may require live feeder crabs at first" (I personally don't know much about that) but do know that snowflakes are easy to initiate feedings with.
Many people will tell you different amounts of feeding and the frequency of feeding a snowflake or zebra, but I follow book recommendations of feeding to satiation about 2-3 times a week. That is, I feed them a couple times a week until the "belly" looks full and then I back off.
Snowflakes do carry a higher grade as far as aquarium suitability is concerned. Meaning, they are said to be easier to keep. Personally, I don't think zebra's are a nice addition to the tank (or at least not as nice as a snowflake addition). Snowflake's seem to have more personality.
This is just my 2cents. HTH. Take care.