Zoa colony not attaching...

doc308

i ordered a 20+ zoa colony frag and unfortunately, it did not come attached to a frag plug--it's just the zoa polyps. They are attached to what I assume is some sort of mat. With the shipping, they are all retracted and the edges have curled up so that I cannot lay it down without some of the polyps being against the rockwork. How can I tell which side is up (curled up, it resembles a large blackberry with the polyps all pointing outwards). The flow in my tank is too strong for me to lay it up on the live rock...it will just get blown off.
I have seen recommendations for putting things like this in a cup with some gravel until they fold out....but I didn't think Zoas would move on their own. Is this true? or would the cup method work?
Should I just force it and peel it back as best I can and superglue as best I can to a plug?
Should I just keep putting it back up on the rocks and hoping it levels out on it's own like a ricordea?
Any recommendations?

subielover

Ok, normally what I do after fragging zoas is just glue them to a piece of live rock rubble. If it were me I would just flatten the mat out the best I could and glue them. For rics, I would put them in a tupperware container with some rubble, and a piece of mesh over the top. Might not be a bad way to go either for these zoas. But like I said I would glue them then put them where you want them.

doc308

cool thanks!
have you ever had them roll up into a ball as a colony like I'm describing? I guess what I'm saying is that I'd love to glue them in one spot, but I wasn't sure if trying to unroll it would hurt it or not. Are they hardier than I'm giving them credit for?

nigerbang

Agree with the Super glue.. The only way I have ever been able to keep zoas matted down...
Sweet Avatar... Seasons In The Abyss is my favorite Slayer album

subielover

Zoas are definitely hardy, stretch out the mat and glue them, you should be fine. Be sure to post pics once they open up. What kind of zoas did you get anyhow?

doc308

Awesome! Thanks for the help!
I have 2 varieties: pink with blue skirts, mixed blues, reds and greens with green skirts.
I will take pics today!!!

doc308

Oh jeez! Hey I'm glad you like it, but believe it or not I didn't realize it was a slayer album!! I just saw it and thought it looked cool...oy vey I'm a idiot.

shrimpi

make sure to wash your hands well after handling the zoos.
I would keep a paper towel handy. Dry the area on the rock and the bottom of the mat of the zoos just before glueing. (dont rub hard, just pat it dry). Use super glue gel or loctite glue (my favorite)
Have fun
Jess