zoanthid not open

wetone

I have a rock with about 60-70 zoanthid polyps on it about half are open normal the others are not. I have had the rock about 45 days and it has been open full almost all the time. It sits about 80% down from 2 250w 6500k MH's and 2 110 VHO actinics. My water parms are all 0, with DKH about 12, CA 450. All other corals including LPs and SPS are normal. I stopped feeding DT's about a month ago (my refrigerator failed and I threw out the bottle...haven't ordered any more since) Could this be an issue?? I have been feeding golden pearls and microvert.

k.lee

Well, you don't say how long this has been going on, but three guesses would be:
1. The zoanthids are "sloughing" (not sure if any particular button polyps do this.
2. The zoanthids were stung by another animal.
3. A predator or pest is preying on them.
Lee

wetone

These polyps have been doing this for less than a week. I just moved them away from two large colt frags that was touching them because of current. I removed a condylactus (atlantic) anenome from the tank that was huge and stinging others, not near the polyps but maybe some tentacles floated free?? I have recently set up my powerheads on timers to act as a poor mans wavemaker, I dont know if the lack of constant direct current could be it??
What is "sloughing"??

k.lee

"Sloughing" is shedding of skin, or in this case mucous.
I f you just moved your colony, yes the water flow "could be a problem. It is also possible that you damaged them slightly by handling them again.
If the rest of your tank is looking fine, and you don't see any visible damage, I wouldn't sweat it, unless it is a water flow problem.