Zoanthids dont want to open?

cgj

I purchased two zoanthid colonies, they are both orange zoanthids i believe, one small, with about 8 polyps, the other with about 50. Within one day all the polyps on the small one were open...
Unfortunately, on the large one, id say only about half of the polyps are open... is there any particular reason why? I have MH lighting, a high PH of 8.3 no ammonia, nitrites, and almost no nitrate (5-10 ppm) All my other corals are doing fine.

cgj

If memory serves, it was in a tank I believe under some sort of T5 high output lighting...

nycbob

alway place new corals at the bottom 1st if ur running mh, then slowly move them up by the week.

cgj

Originally Posted by nycbob
alway place new corals at the bottom 1st if ur running mh, then slowly move them up by the week.
they are on the bottom. The left side is all open now, but the right is not.. lighting is identical on either side....

If the frag is fresh it could be how they were cut. Also understand these guys like more flow than any other softy, other than GSPs. They suffocate under their own secretion quite easily. So increase flow to it. This almost always opens them up.You should be checking Alk at least weekly.

cgj

Most of them are open now... I think theyre fine
I should also increase flow or change their position to a more flowing area...

flricordia

Originally Posted by CGJ
Most of them are open now... I think theyre fine
I should also increase flow or change their position to a more flowing area...
Sounds good. Glad it looks like theya re going to be OK.

cgj

Originally Posted by Flricordia
Sounds good. Glad it looks like theya re going to be OK.
I also moved them up in the tank to a much higher area and in a much more "flowy" area, so maybe that'll be good..
Am i to understand all zoanthids are a "strong light, strong flow" animal?

cgj

All zoanthids, save maybe two or three are open now. They look happy and healthy, although I must say they arent the best color choice... i would prefer something more blue or red, rather than this dull green.

Originally Posted by CGJ
All zoanthids, save maybe two or three are open now. They look happy and healthy, although I must say they arent the best color choice... i would prefer something more blue or red, rather than this dull green.
give them more time, love, and they'll brighten up om you i'm shore, just stay on your water.