Zoanthids growth ?!?

chingchong

Hi,
I have had these Zoanthids for like 4mo now and I haven't seen any growth in the tank, unlike the xenia that start to grown new branches ...
i heard/read about feeding ... how do you need them ...
i have a 55gal with 2x clown fish, 1 emperor, couple snails/crabs and a LMB.
lights are 260W PC 10K bulbs.

oceana

zoas are not fast grows in some cases, xenia is a very fast grower. in four month i would expect to see double or more growth from xenia. but from zoas i would only expect a few polyps

oceana

it is a bit different for each kind but over all i feel. the higher light the better. good flow but not to much. just enough to move them around.
iodine, and SPACE. some grow faster then others. but they all grow fast.
it will take over a reef if you let it. last time i bought some i said i would not do it again due to its fast growth rate. but i just recently bought 2 stalks of pompom a few months ago and it doubles in size almost monthly. we now have around 15= stalks

Y

yetti

Thanks....
What about a 30g reef with PC lighting....roughtly 4.5 watts per gallon? I've just got some shrooms in there now and am trying to decide what else I want to go with.

oceana

Originally Posted by yetti
Thanks....
What about a 30g reef with PC lighting....roughtly 4.5 watts per gallon? I've just got some shrooms in there now and am trying to decide what else I want to go with.
that would be ok with xenia.
elongated will do better and grow faster. pompom will be a bit slower and will not pulse as fast under that lighting but will look better IMO