Zoas wont open at all??

luvmyreef

Rust Brown Flatworm
The first and most common type of flatworm can become a nuisance quickly in the home aquarium. These organisms are tan, brown or rust colored with a red dot, and reach a size of up to 1/4" in length. They are oval and slightly elongated with two tail-like appendages at their posterior. This brown flatworm has been identified as Convolutriloba retrogemma, and will proliferate rapidly in aquariums with elevated nutrient levels. The populations of these pests can increase to a point where they will actually perch on corals, and block the light from reaching the corals' tissue. Some experts believe that the flatworms actually feed on the zooxanthellae from coral tissue, thus damaging the corals themselves.
Maybe they are causing your problems, have you tried dipping the ones that look bad and see if any flatworms come off the frag?

nissan577

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3244963
Rust Brown Flatworm
The first and most common type of flatworm can become a nuisance quickly in the home aquarium. These organisms are tan, brown or rust colored with a red dot, and reach a size of up to 1/4" in length. They are oval and slightly elongated with two tail-like appendages at their posterior. This brown flatworm has been identified as Convolutriloba retrogemma, and will proliferate rapidly in aquariums with elevated nutrient levels. The populations of these pests can increase to a point where they will actually perch on corals, and block the light from reaching the corals' tissue. Some experts believe that the flatworms actually feed on the zooxanthellae from coral tissue, thus damaging the corals themselves.
Maybe they are causing your problems, have you tried dipping the ones that look bad and see if any flatworms come off the frag?
i do have lots of flatworms. could that be it????
i have dip them before and nothing they still end up closing up.

thanks for the info aunt.

luvmyreef

Try looking at them with a magnifying glass and see if anything is bothering them, espec. when the lights are out.

luvmyreef

Maybe. Heres some info from another site just like above.
Treatment
The best way of controlling flatworms is by prevention. Maintaining low nutrient levels in the aquarium with the use of carbon and aggressive protein skimming, along with increased water flow will help to reduce the populations of these pests. Proper quarantine of new specimens, and all aquatic life before they are placed in the display aquarium will keep the initial introduction of flatworms to a minimum.
Natural means of control include: Wrasse of the genus Pseudocheilinus, such as the Six Line Wrasse (P. hexataenia), Halichoeres Wrasse, such as Yellow Wrasse (H. chrysus), Macropharyngodon Wrasse such as the numerous Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon sp.), and Dragonets such as the Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus). The Blue Velvet Nudibranch (Chelidonura varians) is very effective at consuming flatworms in the aquarium, but is very sensitive to changes in water chemistry and has a short life expectancy in the home aquarium.
Although the species mentioned above will consume flatworms, they may not feed on all of the different species that inhabit the aquarium, nor will they typically rid the aquarium completely. Also be sure that your aquarium is appropriate for the fish, as some of the species do have special requirements and increased care levels in the home aquarium.
Another method of removing flatworms from an infected colony is by performing a brief freshwater bath or dip. Flatworms are very sensitive to salinity changes; by dipping the colony in dechlorinated freshwater for 5 to 10 seconds and then shaking the colony while submerged in the bath of freshwater, will cause the worms to lose their grip and fall to the bottom of the container. Be sure the freshwater has the same temperature and pH as the aquarium's water in order to reduce the amount of stress on the colony.
The last method involves manual removal. Siphoning seems to work the best, as the flatworms do not keep a very strong grip on the colony. A small diameter airline tubing works very well for soft leather coral colonies and some species of mushrooms. Be careful not to damage the coral with too strong of a siphon. For the more delicate mushrooms and LPS corals, small syringes work very well. It is possible to get the syringe very close to the flatworm and gently draw the worm into the syringe without harming the coral.
With severe infestations, you may have to employ a combination of all methods mentioned above in order to eliminate or even control the populations of these pests.

nissan577

thanks. man i know i should look it up myself but these damn worms!!!!

i just hope thats it cause with the new lights and everything me moving the rock around. ima dip them in FW every rock and buy a mandarin

luvmyreef

Well, the flatworms might not be the problem. Zoas seem to be picky with flow, lights, other corals, etc. You could also dip them really well ( you can use prazipro) it kills worms and eggs, and place them in your pico and see what they do. Let us know how they turn out.

nissan577

the zoas in my pico are great! but not growing

ima dip all my rocks in FW and buy the mandarin. after a few weeks, ima add one zoa i have in my pico and see how it does in the 95g. if all goes well ima add all the zoas there and make the pico a ric, and zoa tank.

luvmyreef

your gonna dip all your rocks in FW? Hmmmm. That might do a lot of harm to your biological filtration. Maybe low doses of flatworm exit would be better than that.
I know some say not to use it, but I dunno.

nissan577

as you may know i have a 95g tank.
i have 2x150w MH with 2x130w PC. but they are gonna be change to t5ho 8x54w lights.
i have sps growing and other lps and softies as well. but for some reason everytime i add a zoa in the tank they never open why is that????
they open for a week then they get like this below:

why is that????
the eagle eyes below: are doing great.

these other ones half are like the first zoas and the other half good.

and these are the flatworms:

A

abeandlulu

it my just be placement. I had a zoo that would not stay open until i finally moved it to the right spot. now it is growing like crazy.

nissan577

could it be???? but my past zoas that this tank had all died. they all ended up like the first zoa pic and melted.

Low dosing FE will do nothing . That will actually get the flatworms used to it and not work at all. FE will work, But you must follow the directions to a T. Have carbon ready after the treatment with a large water change
I don't think it's a flatworm problem. You would see them on the glass and on the corals' I would do a fresh water dip on that piece and see how that works

nissan577

Originally Posted by Reeferrookie
http:///forum/post/3245037
Low dosing FE will do nothing . That will actually get the flatworms used to it and not work at all. FE will work, But you must follow the directions to a T. Have carbon ready after the treatment with a large water change
I don't think it's a flatworm problem. You would see them on the glass and on the corals' I would do a fresh water dip on that piece and see how that works
i know. thanks reef, but i would rather use fish and siphon then use treatments.

All the guaranteed flatworm eating fish are a 50/50 proposition. the only one I had luck with was a yellow coris wrasse. Good Luck, they are a real pain in the butt