Zoo HELP!

drewissett

I think I am loosing my zoos, they seem to be slightly faded around there outside tenticles... I currently have them under 130w PCs. They have been spreading really nicely since I bought them about a month ago... And my other corals are great as well, water conditions are whre they should be etc.
I will try to get a pic up in the morning...
Has anyone else experienced a similar problem??
Any advice would be appreciated....
Thanks,
Drew

bonebrake

How old are your light bulbs?
Look very closely, do you see any snails on the zoanthids that are closed up or any nudibranchs?

drewissett

The majority are opened up, some are slightly withdrawn, I didn't notice anything unusual on/around them, but will defenitly look much closer
Here is the pic, sorry for the lousy quality(cell cam), it was taken over the tank...
Lights are just about 1 month old...

sailfin

If you don't see any type of snails or nudibranches, I'd just leave them be. Zoos can sometimes act a little weird for a couple of days especially when they have just been added to the tank. Keep us posted if things get worse.

drewissett

They are looking a little more faded today, just inside the circle,
I REALLY like them and don't want to loose them, any help?
Water is still good!!

bonebrake

Look closer for parasitic snails, nudibranchs, or any kind of fungus growing on them. If you don't see any, take a glass bowl and fill it with tank water then take the colony out and shake it hard in the bowl and see if any snails or nudibranchs fall out.

reefkprz

how close are they to the top of your tank? they may be getting too much light... rare for zoos though they tend to love high light. happened to one of my friends though they looked very similar whitish on the edges. he moved them down to a darker area and they are starting to come around for him. just an Idea.

drewissett

after lookign closer, it looks like there are TINY whit spots on them, almos like ick,
but even smaller...
Any ideas?

bonebrake

Tiny white spots could be anything.
Do the white spots move or come off when you shake the colony in a bowl of tank water?

whitey_028

Do a freshwater dip on them as it will help with disease,parasites or anything that will affect your zoos other than your water quality.

reefkprz

well since you have a sixline wrasse that pretty much rules out flat worms. so maybe disease or parasite? Sorry I cant be more helpful.

robsw

I would do as Whitey suggested and do a freshwater dip. You can leave them in for a coupla minutes and they should be fine. Ive done it many times to take off flatworms. Just becasue you have a sixline doesnt mean that you dont have flatworms. You shoulda seen my tank after i used Flatworm exit- there were thousands of them, and i only did it because i saw 3. good luck, and dont worry after the dip, your zoos will open in about an hour. so dont get paniky.
hope that helps
rob

michaeltx

FW dip and inverts is a BAD idea guys try a a dip solution that is made for corals and wont hurt or kill them!!!
Mike

teen

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
FW dip and inverts is a BAD idea guys try a a dip solution that is made for corals and wont hurt or kill them!!!
Mike
a fw dip isnt bad for zoas imo. in the ocean, they are exposed at low tide sometimes, what happens if it rains during low tide? ive FW dipped zoas plenty of times with no ill effects, just make sure its RO water and the PH/temp is the same as in your tank.