zoos stalks?

C

cavan

I have several zoos and the ALL have grown stalks?
They are anywhere from 1inch to 4inches tall? When I got them they covered like a mat but over the last year in my tank they grow up not out? I have a coral only tank that is a 29gal nano cube hqi. They are placed at the top of my rock work. Anyoe know why they are doing this and how to redirect them? thanks

the808state

2 things...
1. not enough light
2. not enough flow
since you mention they are at the top, i think number 1 is out. What do you have for flow in your tank?

C

cavan

Thanks, i have a wave maker in the tank with two pumps but they blow to the sides. The zoos are in the middle and don't get hardly any flow! Can I just put anouther pump flowing over them and will they go back to the normal size?

the808state

I have put wild caught colonies i have collected myself in my tank. People Eater type... In their natural environment they were 5 inches from the surface and not shaded at all.
According to the Waikiki aquarium studies i can assume these polyps receive light in the 2000 PAR range. The stalks were about 3 inches long. They were in an area that has little to no flow or wave breaking.
After 2 weeks of my MP20 they reduced their stalk size down to about a half inch.

C

cavan

I thought it was only light myself; but i know in my tank it isn't light problems. I have hqi lighting and the bulbs are new. I used to have a 75 gal and they where fine in there. The tank design does not allow for as good of water flow at the back which is where i choose to put these 3 types i have. I had a tunze in my other tank blowing across them; in this tank they are in a "dead zone". I will try next week to get them some water movement and see what happens. I have been wanting to do that anyway; things look nicer when they are "waving" and there are some more corals i want to put in that i KNOW need move movement.

the808state

Originally Posted by Freeborder_01
http:///forum/post/2888936
I guess I just thought why would increased stalk siZe would benefit in a case where flow isn't enough
That is a very good question... I don't have an answer to that one. I would be curious to have an explanation as to why i saw what i saw.

my only thought would be they were growing towards an area where the flow was stronger since their mouth is on the top? i dunno thats all i could think of

C

cavan

It makes since; if you have a shrub and the wind blows it don't move at all hardly. If you look at the trees they are "swinging" as it blows. The tree trunk allows the top to move with less force. As for the coral it is making its "trunk" longer so less water flow will give it the same "feel".