Stock list ideas for 55 reef

Dflo

Hello all, the 55 is cycling and starting to think more about possible stock. I have a pair of ocellaris in my qt that will go in when ready. I was thinking some kind of sand sifting goby, chromis, firefish, anthias and maybe six line wrasse. Not sure what options might be as a center piece because of size. Thanks for everyone's thoughts

pegasus

I'd hold up on the sand sifting goby for a little while. You need to let the tank, especially the sand, get established. I have a diamond goby in my 40B, and though it will grab a piece of food, if blows right out of it's gills. They're basically filter feeders that feed on the organisms living in the sand, and it takes awhile for the population to get established.

aduvall

You could do a dwarf angel centerpiece.

And I'm not a 6line fan even though they are good looking.

Fire fish I think are though I've heard they are jumpers. And I think anthills are georgous.

pegasus

Multi-response: You're welcome. While anthills are a work of art, or rather an art of work, I hate fire ants. I have a pair of sixlines that spawn every evening before lights out. They're pretty, but can be a little mean towards other fish. The last three firefish I bought jumped out of the tank. I still have the original two that I bought 1 1/2 years ago, and they aren't jumpers. A covered tank is highly recommended just to be safe. Ditto on the anthills, to a certain extent... note prior response. The Coral Beauty is considered the safest for reef tanks, thus the name. I've never seen mine nipping at any corals, though I caught him looking at some red gorgonian polyps a couple of times. I lost a small colony of metallic green zoas, but my theory is the rock boring urchin ate them. Just a hunch...

aduvall

I kept reading like why the heck do they keep talking about ant hills... I'm an idiot.

Also yes I've read CB are fairly reef safe. But you are right... They all need caution.

pegasus

I should go back and edit so you guys look dumb too!!

I think ANTHIAS are gorgeous fish!
You'd be surprised at how many times I hit the edit button after posting something.

I thing anthias are gorgeous fish, too. Hard to keep, but gorgeous...

bang guy

I'm never able to type an entire sentence without at least one typo. I ALWAYS have to go back and edit, always.

I had some ant hills in my lagoon. They are nice in a shoal. As a total chicken I chose the easiest to care for, the Lyre tail.

pegasus

About two years ago, I bought 3 female Stocky Anthias. I kept them for about a year before something weird started happening. One morphed into a male, which was kind of cool, but he went crazy after awhile. He'd dart all over the tank, and had a bad habit of putting his mouth against the glass and start swimming vigorously... like he was trying to swim through the glass. He wore the front of his lower jaw off. He suddenly died a few months after he started doing that. A few months later, another of the females started exhibiting the same behavior. This went on a few months, and then she died. A few months later, the last one did exactly the same thing. One of the weirdest things I've ever witnessed. I may try Maldives Lyretails if I ever attempt them again...

Dflo

Ok back to the topic lol. The clowns will go in first obviously what would be the best next