Back to basics- 29g adventure

eric b 125

Hey Seth, when you get a chance can you check out the Water Saver RODI on TFG website and explain to me what I'm looking at, LOL? RODI's are so foreign to me. I'll probably end up getting replacement cartridges or media at the same time I order the unit, just to have them on-hand.

snakeblitz33

Have you checked your local tap water to see what chemicals they use to "make your water safe to drink?"

Also, did you get a TDS meter yet to figure out how dirty your tap water is?

Those are two answers I really need before I can give you a detailed response on that particular system.

pegasus

Many larger municipalities are using Chloramine (Chlorine + Ammonia) to treat water these days. If your water has Chloramine, you'll need special carbon blocks to remove these chemicals. Regular carbon will remove it, but only for a short amount of time.

As for refillable DI, yes, they will work with any RO system. You simply remove the sealed cartridge(s) and the line coming from the RO membrane. Add a longer line to go to the refillable cartridge, and you're done. I love the color-changing DI as it gives a visual cue as to how much has depleted, but it's not 100% accurate. A TDS meter on the product line will often show 0 TDS even after the color has completely changed. No need in wasting good resin, so I highly recommend a TDS meter. Even if it's just a single stage meter, you need to know how clean the product water is. Just my 2c...

snakeblitz33

There are also different varients of chloramine, Pegasus. Monochloramine, do chloramine, trichloramine, and others. Depending on what type of chemical they are using is how many catalytic carbon block filters are needed.

I'd get refillable cartridges anyway and buy some high capacity carbon.

As to that particular system, I believe that running waste water through a second membrane is unnecessary and will degrade that membrane faster over time, causing you to have to replace it prematurely. It will also burn through the DI resign faster too I'd that happens.

eric b 125

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Seth. Sorry about that. I just know you went through some serious water quality issues and obviously you've figured it out.

I looked for the report online but couldn't find anything. I also did not get a TDS meter. I think the Water Saver RODI will be a fine unit for me. I'm not too worried about having to replace filter media too often, I'm more concerned with waste water and with speed of production. When I get a RODI I will also be getting a dual TDS meter so I don't have to play the guessing game any more.

pegasus

There are also different varients of chloramine, Pegasus. Monochloramine, do chloramine, trichloramine, and others. Depending on what type of chemical they are using is how many catalytic carbon block filters are needed.

I'd get refillable cartridges anyway and buy some high capacity carbon.

As to that particular system, I believe that running waste water through a second membrane is unnecessary and will degrade that membrane faster over time, causing you to have to replace it prematurely. It will also burn through the DI resign faster too I'd that happens.
I run 1 micron and .6 micron high-capacity carbon filters. I'm ready for anything! :cool:

Yeah, I never understood why they set these things up to recycle the waste water from the first RO membrane. Seems like a tee coming off the carbon canister to each membrane would be better. That way, you don't have one membrane filtering pure waste water, which makes sense that it would fail much sooner. Then again... what do I know? LOL!!!

snakeblitz33

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Seth. Sorry about that. I just know you went through some serious water quality issues and obviously you've figured it out.

I looked for the report online but couldn't find anything. I also did not get a TDS meter. I think the Water Saver RODI will be a fine unit for me. I'm not too worried about having to replace filter media too often, I'm more concerned with waste water and with speed of production. When I get a RODI I will also be getting a dual TDS meter so I don't have to play the guessing game any more.
Get the one on air water ice. It's cheaper.

snakeblitz33

Hijack my thread anytime man. I don't mind at all. Your right too, I had to deal with a lot of issues with my water quality before making progress.

eric b 125

I will probably just get the one from TFG's if I'm going to order that RODI. I'm really hoping that what I'm looking at is water quality issues...

snakeblitz33

Not really. Looks like I might have to start doing some small water changes. My nepthea constantly shrinks and expands.

Nothing to really report on at the moment. The coralline is growing well, the filter pads are holding up. I just added carbon to the system again.

My montipora is growing thick and repairing itself underneath the main block. I'm sure that it will start expanding soon once it repairs the damage from the previous owners system.

That's about it. No new corals, just saving up some money for my son's arrival.

snakeblitz33

My skimmer kinda crapped out on me. I'm going skimmerless and going to do a once a month water change.

Less equipment in the tank = good thing.

snakeblitz33

Skimmerless.

And since tomorrow is the first, I'm getting set up for a ten gallon water change.

Getting ready to get some more montipora digitata soon. Maybe a few other things. Not exactly sure just yet.

snakeblitz33

So I went to the fish store today and got a few things. Mainly ten gallons of saltwater. I did a water change when I got home this morning. The animals within look like they are recovering well. The SG at the store is 1.022, and I decided to just go ahead and do a water change and let it sort itself out. I might mix up a gallon of saltwater and use it for top off. I like my SG around 1.024 if I can keep it there.

I talked to the lfs owner and he gave me two frags of his blue ridge. Yeah, I know,... They are ugly and brown.... But I like their growth pattern and they were free.

I also purchased a green hydenophora I think is what it is. I'll have to look and try to ID it on the interwebs.

snakeblitz33

I would really like a pink birdsnest and some other common montipora digitata.

Maybe in a few weeks if that hydenophora pulls out of it and does well, I may put in an order online. In the mean time, I'll save up some money.

pegasus

Nice! The green things below and right of the blue ridge looks like Caulastrea Furcata, aka Candy Cane Coral. Of course, if the Hydnophora isn't in the picture, dismiss this message. Likewise, if that is the Hydnophora is in the picture, and the Blue Ridge isn't, again... dismiss this message. I just assumed since you were talking about the BRC, that's what was in the pic...

Last edited:

snakeblitz33

Naa. That's a hydenophora on top and of course, a green candy on bottom. The blue ridge is just brown, so I didn't post a pic.