Newbie...Not so newbie..well Kinda..yea..Well lets start. *pic heavy*

Kwassing

Ive had several fish, fresh and salt before..however its been about 10 years. I know saltwater has come along way since then. I always scour craigslist looking for odds/ends. Came up on a what i thought was a hell of a deal that pretty much got me started back up in saltwater..

Picked up a 70 or 72g Acrylic bowfront? Its not exactly rounded, but angled so Im not sure if its still a bowfront or not.. anyway, got the tank, stand, canopy, and it was full of slate rock where the previous owner had cichlids. had filters and everything else and snatched it up for $200. Tank wasnt perfect, but after getting a scratch removal kit, tank looks pretty decent now. Went and picked up some live sand, established live rock from a running salt tank, 10g of established water ect. After a couple days, noticed a few things. I have a few aiptasia, a bristle worm, some weird looking thing idk what it is. maybe someone can identify it. there are a couple of them. They have very small tube like bases, with only 2 very thin tentacles or antennae that come out. You will see those in the pics. And i also have a baby banded serpent start that hitched a ride on the rock. If you look closely, you will see he has 6 legs. Ive only seen 5 legged ones, so idk if this is normal or not. Anyway, enough talking, here are some pics!

Tank, the canopy has hand prints all over it. pay no attention to those lol. Didnt see them until i uploaded the pic.

my bristleworm hitchhiker

Aiptasias

More Aiptasias

If you look here, this is the tentacle thingy i was talking about. Center of the pic, looks like a scratch going off to the right. Thats one of the tentacles, the other is smaller and goes left from the center. Only seems to be 2 tentacles/antennae. Ive seen at least 4 of these on the rocks, this one having the longest tentacle/antennae. It can draw itself all the way back into the rock/tube

Here is the baby serpent about the total size of a quarter

silverado61

First off: It's a bay front tank. Not a bow front. An odd tank but a cool one as well.

Second: You need more rock and it needs to go all the way to the bottom of the sand. Not setting on top and one of the rocks looks like it could fall at any time.

Third: Aptasia, not good. The ones you have look pretty big too.

Fourth: Bristle Worm, SCORE! Good for the tank.

Fifth: Serpent star, another score!

Sixth: Welcome to saltwaterfish.com

The best site out here.

jay0705

Agreed. More rock is a plus. The apatasia. You can try pep shrimp, I cook it w hot water. The ap not the shrimp lol.

Kwassing

First off: It's a bay front tank. Not a bow front. An odd tank but a cool one as well.

Second: You need more rock and it needs to go all the way to the bottom of the sand. Not setting on top and one of the rocks looks like it could fall at any time.

Third: Aptasia, not good. The ones you have look pretty big too.

Fourth: Bristle Worm, SCORE! Good for the tank.

Fifth: Serpent star, another score!

Sixth: Welcome to saltwaterfish.com

The best site out here.
I realize I need more rock. Just didnt exactly have 1-2k to spend on just rock right out of the gate.. Plus, this isnt just base rock. Its established cured rock thats already been in running saltwater tanks. Ill be grabbing 10-20lbs a week or so til i get the desired amount I like.

Kwassing

Agreed. More rock is a plus. The apatasia. You can try pep shrimp, I cook it w hot water. The ap not the shrimp lol.
I think ill try the pep shrimp. Will the shrimp be able to handle the large ones? The one is probably the size of a half dollar when fully open

eric b 125

You could go the base rock route. It's way cheaper than LR and you won't have to worry about adding any more unwanted hitchhikers

jay0705

Agreed on base rock. The pep shrimp honestly it depends. I had a large ap eat one of my pep. Thats when I cooked it.

flower

I think ill try the pep shrimp. Will the shrimp be able to handle the large ones? The one is probably the size of a half dollar when fully open
I would zap that grandpappy with some Joes Juice, or Aptasia X. Peppermint shrimp are good for the little ones that crop up, but once the thing reaches that size...no. Also keep in mind that if you overfeed the tank, shrimp will eat the leftover food and not eat the aptasia at all...why hunt for food if it rains plenty from above.

Kwassing

I would zap that grandpappy with some Joes Juice, or Aptasia X. Peppermint shrimp are good for the little ones that crop up, but once the thing reaches that size...no. Also keep in mind that if you overfeed the tank, shrimp will eat the leftover food and not eat the aptasia at all...why hunt for food if it rains plenty from above.
well... I picked up two shrimp yesterday before i saw this lol. I see your point in over feeding. Guess I will have to see. Sounds like zappin would be my best option to get rid of them.

jay0705

I do alot of small rock formations in my tanks opposed to one large formation. So when I got apatasia, I just took that piece of rock out and spot cooked the ap. Then put the rock back in

Kwassing

I do alot of small rock formations in my tanks opposed to one large formation. So when I got apatasia, I just took that piece of rock out and spot cooked the ap. Then put the rock back in
I like this idea much better than dropping anything in my tank. Ill give it a couple days to see what these shrimp do, if they dont make any headway, cookin the rock it is!

jay0705

Just the apatasia lol dont boil the rock!!!! I use hot tap water and pour it just on the ap. Leave as much rock uncooked as possible

honu808

Hottest tap water possible squirted in a turkey baster always worked for me. I never took rock out of tank before.

Kwassing

Hottest tap water possible squirted in a turkey baster always worked for me. I never took rock out of tank before.
this is most likely what i will do. I dont want to nuke the rock in hot water, or remove it at all and kill everything beneficial in the rock.