golden sleeper headed goby

jay0705

these guys are sand sifters. Eating fauna in the sand. I knew early on mine was unique, he would eat frozen food, aswell as sift. Now he eats flake too! But today I was shocked to see him w a mouth full of nori!!!!! No iam not joking lol. he stole a peice from my tang and fox as they were tearing it up. Then swam around trying to eat it. Anybody????? This cant be normal lol

gemmy

IME, it would eat anything in my tank. Unfortunately, mine developed a mouth injury and could not eat. :(

flower

I had one starve, and another that figured out how to eat other foods. They are never full and eat constantly, so once the fish figured out how to eat other foods...it is insatiable. Your fish will survive in captivity, rejoice!

Last edited:

jay0705

Lol I agree, I was hesitant to get one bc of the feeding issue. After a yr I gave it a shot. Glad I did. He trys to eat pellets too, but I think there just a bit small and I see them filter threw his gills. But anything else, mysis, brine, squid, prawn roe, flake down it goes. But the seaweed was crazy. The tang was eating it out of his mouth bc he had so much lol

celbrise

I have a fully grown one I believe in my tank I guess it was rehomed idk but I feed mine frozen brine shrimp it readily takes them. it also is sifting the sand for what seems to be 24/7 unless it is sleeping and this is the only goby/sand sifter I have plus I have a deep sand bed so I don't think it is starving. It will also eat ( occasionally ) spirulina cubes. sadly none of my fish eat these not even my blue tang. they don't break up they just defrost and stay in a giant cube if I manually break it up then the fish will sometimes nibble on it. they hate it though.

I am trying to feed my tang kelp today but idk if it has even touched it. my goby definetly hasn't it won't really eat much greens. I also have some formula one pellet I bought today I will try that later tonight and some shrimp to feed my trigger and puffer see if it tries to take it but I doubt it because my puffer goes insane for it and my trigger I am sure will do the same.

you also should take into consideration not all fish act the same. they may have the same needs but many will stray from what they would typically eat. I don't think it is natural I believe they are carnivores not omnivores but I wouldn't heavily rely on greens for it. mine is also very territorial towards it's burrow

jay0705

I agree its not typical. There is no food I put in the tank he doesn't eat. Brine, mysis, pellets, flake, squid, ect he's and eating machine

celbrise

Yea i think they are carnivores if i recall. fed mine some formula one pellets that are labled omnivore and carnivore and it does have some greens in it. it eats all of it. none of my other fish eat it since i just started to feed it to them yesterday but my goby is quick. also feed my trigger and puffer raw shrimp and it nibbles on it as well as my blue tang which i read is a herbivore but will take meaty foods which isn't healthy for them as a staple for their diet. fish are strange