Need White Elephant Christmas Gift

My family this year is doing a White Elephant christmas party instead of drawing names....
Does anyone have any good ideas for a White Elephant gift?
Our price limit is $14.99-$24.99

gnorman

haha yeah i got something. but its very cheap, and ur family has to have a certain kind of humor in order for u to get this. if u have a spencers near by ( dont like the store but they do have some funny/strange things in it ) then go and see if they have this.
its called- Butt Floss. basically, its toilet paper wrapped up as floss. the present itself is worthless and kinda dumb, but the funny thing about it is the way its packaged and the directions on it. the directions on it are the funniest things i have ever read in my life. i got it for my older brother one year as a joke present. he has that kinda humor and he couldnt stop laughing. great present for a while elephant gift

lovethesea

just go to the "as seen on TV" aisle at Target/Walgreens/Wally World etc.
You should be able to pick up something there.

stdreb27

once we bought about 15 chalupas from taco bell, right when they first came out, it was pretty dang funny, especially since I was the only one who actually knew what White elephant gift ment, everyone else brought serious gifts.

redinator

The idea of white elephant gifts is to give a item you already own(and hate), not to buy an unusual item. Check your collection of junk and pass it off.

dogstar

Originally Posted by redinator
The idea of white elephant gifts is to give a item you already own(and hate), not to buy an unusual item. Check your collection of junk and pass it off.
Not to be too tecnical but the party can be planned anyway the host or participants wish.
Thats why I asked about a theme ( the theme can be preown personal items or not )....best to have one and make sure everyone understands it and any rules one wants to apply to it
. Other wise no telling what will show up as gifts....but then again, that could get a few laughs ( or anger ) as well.

jmick

At work a couple of years back my white elephant gift was an album of christmas carols performed by dogs...

T

tizzo

I never heard of a white elephant party, but frrom this thread I'm getting a clue.
If it is a buy new type of gift, I think the butt floss is funny as heck, but if it's a give what you have type of thing, then I wish it was me, I have all kinds of useless junk still in it's packaging.

kerriann

if it was me, being the technology junkie i am, i'd go to a goodwill or some thrift store and by like a record player or cassette tapes. better yet, if you can locate and 8 track player - that would be classic!!

dogstar

Originally Posted by Tizzo
I never heard of a white elephant party, but frrom this thread I'm getting a clue.
Basically, the one I was at...
each person brings a wrapped gift with no tags or lables on them....according to the theme. Can be gag gifts ( lots of fun and laughs ) or nice things ( ooohhs and aaahhs )
all wrapped gifts are placed in a pile
first person chooses one gift from the pile and opens it for all to see but its his/her gift to keep at first
next person chooses to steal that gift or choose a wrapped gift from the pile for themself, not knowing if it will be better or not than a gift already seen
next person makes the same choice but now can choose from the pile or one of the two seen gifts
the rule can be if you have a gift and want to steal then your gift goes to the victim or back on the pile
and so on...
first person to play should have the last choice to steal once all gifts from the pile are opened or the last round because they did not have a choice on first play ( needs to be played so everyone ends up with a gift they must keep when play ends )
can place limits on how many times a gift can be stolen or how many rounds everyone takes, ect. and can be many variations to how to play.

forddna

Ohhh...a Chinese Christmas party..it's all making sense now!! The ones I have heard of didn't have a set theme or rules. Just a price range.
If the price range is your only rule, here are some ideas:
Gift basket from Bath and Body Works
A popular movie or two on DVD
A nice hat, if your family is "into" a local sports team (or shirt/sweatshirt, etc, if most of your family is about the same size)
A nice set of silverware. You'd be amazed how many people don't have a matching set!
Gift cards...gas, fast food, blockbuster, amc movie theater..
Or just go to Spencers and check out all the fun stuff.

stdreb27

There is a difference between an elephant gift and a "chinese Christmas" white elephant gifts are generally used items around the house that would work as a gag gift. Then they do the "chinese Christmas" thing where you give them and take them ect. but white elephant means gag gift, not something serious.

MikeCall57

I find white elephant exchanges to be a good activity for all guy/girl holiday parties or work parties. It's always fun when people bring original gifts and ideas. I have been searching around for a unique gift to bring to an all guys white elephant exchange and I found this site. I think I am going to get the Dude Wipes. What do you guys think I should get?