I want to Buy a protein Skimmer, But

I want to buy a protein skimmer, but I don't have sump, and I have no place to hang on, my tank is 120 gallon, please help.

I also have a problem with hair aglae, it get more and more on the rocks.

bang guy

The in-tank skimmers are 100% useless so don't consider that an option. HOB is about all you can hope for. Is there no way to cut a hole in the canopy to add a HOB Skimmer?

RE: Hair algae - Need to know more about your tank - inhabitants, feeding schedule, water conditions. Also a brief description of your cycle method is helpful if your tank is young.

honu808

The in-tank skimmers are 100% useless so don't consider that an option. HOB is about all you can hope for. Is there no way to cut a hole in the canopy to add a HOB Skimmer?

RE: Hair algae - Need to know more about your tank - inhabitants, feeding schedule, water conditions. Also a brief description of your cycle method is helpful if your tank is young.
Bang, I don't understand why you think in tank skimmers are worthless. Please clarify. Thanks

The tank have fish since June, feed twice a day, PH 8.1-8.2, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, and Nitrate = 0, but the tank looks like recycling and I don't know why? By the way, I do like overfeeding the fish.

flower

Bang, I don't understand why you think in tank skimmers are worthless. Please clarify. Thanks
They are not worthless, they just are not the only answer for helping to keep the tank healthy. Bang said IN TANK skimmers are worthless, not all skimmers. IMO In a reef they have more use then a FOWLR. They most certainly are not a must have piece of equipment.

Last edited:

flower

The tank have fish since June, feed twice a day, PH 8.1-8.2, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, and Nitrate = 0, but the tank looks like recycling and I don't know why? By the way, I do like overfeeding the fish.
Overfeeding will cause all kinds of problems that a skimmer won't fix. The fish eat what they eat, and what they don't eat feeds nuisance algae, bristle worms and other CUC critters...you are just polluting your tank. If you have live rock, the fish have more to eat then what you are feeding them, there is no good reason to overfeed feed fish twice a day.

Last edited: