Protein Skimmer Function Question

KHow

I have an Eshops 75 HOB skimmer. It has been working very well for me. It seems like over the last couple of days, it is filling the skimmer cup with essentially straight water. It looks like it is producing micro bubbles well, there is a nice head of bubbles at the top of the chamber...but instead of the normal green/brown skimmate, the cup is just filling with water. I have tried to make adjustments on the air flow and this does not affect the skimmer action like it used to. Everything dlse seems to be fine, does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on?

pegasus

Sounds like the venturi may be clogged. The venturi is the nipple that the airline is connected to in front of the pump. Sometimes it's as simple as running warm RO or distilled water through the airline to dissolve salt creep, and other times it takes removing the venturi from the pump to remove a piece of debris. If this doesn't fix it, check the needle wheel to be sure it's not clogged with debris.

KHow

Took the whole pump apart and did a " like new" cleaning. No obvious clogs. Once I got it primed and running again, it still seems to be in overdrive. I can adjust water flow to increase into the skimmate cup but at the nominal setting, the flow seems too aggressive, filling the cup fairly quickly. I will try to post a video.

KHow

Well it seems like the old adage about never being in a hurry with this hobby hold true! After I let the skimmer run for several hours, it stabilized nicely. I guess I will need to be more patient with everything!