Ich Issue, I have lost too many fish Please Help!!

lmforbis

As long as you use tap water you will have phosphate. It comes in in the water.
The grocery store RO is much better than tap not as good as RODI but it will work temporarily.
You can, in the future help your fish, by providing an environment that is as low stress as possible. That means lots of rock work for them to hide in. This will also provide a good surface for biological filtration. Don't over stock the tank. Don't put fish in tanks that don't have dimensions that are consistent with those fish's swimming habits. Volume isn't as important sometimes as dimensions. QT all fish at least 4 weeks before they go into your tank.

Kunal Patel

Thank you all for your help, looks like the ich is all gone. Now I have a new issue, well I am not sure if it is an issue, but I checked all my levels, Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrate are all good, I have no Ammonia or Nitrites or very low amounts. My Nitrates are 5.0 ppm. My Phosphates are still little high but dropping. But what I have noticed is that the red algae growth has dissipated down to almost none and now I have green algae growth. I hope this does not cause any issues with my fish. Is this a good thing?

bang guy

Green algae growth isn't going to negatively impact your fish. If you don't like the look of it then it's going to negatively impact the aesthetics of your tank. The algae will actually reduce Phosphates and Nitrates but unless you enjoy the look of flowing hair algae you'll need to deal with it.

Kunal Patel

Ok so I have all my water parameters in check. I don't see any issue with ich anymore. I do not see any white spots on my fish. But my tiger has a cloudy eye. I went to my local fish store and they said just let the fish be it should clear up and not to add any medication or copper to the tank. When I had Ich I was adding copper, but have since stopped and my copper level are now down to almost nothing. It doesn't look like the cloudy eye is stressing him much, he eat and swim like normal. A few days ago my emperor angel fish died, no sign of ich on him either, not sure what happened. The only other thing I have noticed it that my Fox Face and Yellow Tang have lost a shade or two of color, but same thing with them, they act normal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bang guy

. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, sorry to be blunt and rude, I know it's not what you want to hear but don't have the tank so overstocked and don't restock is so fast. You threw a bunch of large fish quickly into a medium sized tank. This will almost always end in death and frustration. Try to be happy with one nice focus fish and fill in with several small fish. You had way too many large fish in there.

lmforbis

Your tank may seem like the ich is gone but it isnt. If there was ich in your tank and you did not remove the fish and let it go fallow for the correct amount of time it is still there. It will just take a stressor to start all over again. Like Bang said, too many fish in too small of a space is a big stressor. Slow down research each fish carefully to make sure they are suitable for your tank and add them one at a time.

Kunal Patel

It's all good Bang, I was asking the Fish store for advice, they said I can still add fish to my tank, I guess it is because they are in the fish selling business. As of now I have a Hippo Tang, FoxFace, Yellow Tang, Niger Triger, two small damsels and a Snowflake Eel in my 120, should I remove some of my fish if so which ones?

lmforbis

Important lesson learned. There are a few good stiores out there that do give good advice and won't sell you something if you don't have the right set up. They are few and far between. I'm lucky, I have one of the good ones near me.

The hippo tang really needs a 6 foot minimum tank so in my opinion he should be rehomed. I don't know much about triggers but I think the rest should be fine.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe if you detail what you did about ich treatment we might be able to support assurances that it is gone. It sounds like you are using your main tank to treat the fish and that you added copper?

The cloudy eye is likely due to poor water quality if you are dosing your main tank with copper. And the LFS is correct to advise not using meds in the display tank.

I agree with imforbis.....the ich will probably be in the tank still. Their are lots of studies out their that support different ideas. One of them I read said 11 months without a host while others say it depends on which stage of the life cycle it is in.

Also, are you doing regular water changes? You said you are using tap water.....that is no good for your tank. If you use it for top off then you are constantly adding to the phosphate levels, which explains why you have/had bad algae issues.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No host fish, no ich. Ich relies on fish tissue to feed and fish is an integral part of its life cycle.