algee in tank...

duane C

I have a green Algee showing up all of a sudden in my main tank... it is hair like and is progressing rapidly...Not sure what it is...Or what to use to get rid of it...I have emeralds, hermits, snails ,shrimp and tangs...nothing is eating it.....has killed a feather dust it looks like ...

Last edited:

flower

I have a green Algee showing up all of a sudden in my main tank... it is hair like and is progressing rapidly...Not sure what it is...Or what to use to get rid of it...I have emeralds, hermits, snails ,shrimp and tangs...nothing is eating it.....has killed a feather dust it looks like ...
Hi,

You have high phosphates, or you couldn't have hair algae. A test won't help because you will get a false negative reading, because the algae is feeding on it. Nothing except seahares eat hair algae, and even then it's iffy.
A GRO reactor...or...phosphate remover...or ... Lots of regular water changes, using RO (reverse osmosis) water. If you are using tap water..STOP, there is nothing but problems with algae when you use tap water. RO water is sold in every large grocery store that has a refill water station. Getting your own RO/DI unit is best. Walmart by me sells RO for 37 cents a gallon.

beaslbob

you need (more) macro algae in your refugium.

I think that thingie is some kind of sponge. but you better get others to verify that.

flower

Pineapple sponges are filter feeders and clean the water as they go...so yes they are a good thing.