Best way to use this sump? Advice please

cw2416ag

Hello,
Just bought a 180 gallon tank on Craigslist used and it came with this sump. I have removed and cleaned but now need to know the best way to use it. It had bio ball's in the first chamber unDer the metal shelf unit which I have removed. I have a Protein Skimmer for the large area and a return pump that sits inside the last chamber. Should I put live rock/sand in this? Any type of marine plants? WHat should I have in place of the bio ball's. I also had a green filter between two of the baffles I plan to clean and put back. I know it's small for a 180 but I want to use it to the best potential. This will be my first saltwater tank in years and certainly my the biggest. If it matters I plan on having a FOWLR. I attached some pictures of it clean and empty. BTW the pipe leading out of sump is capped and not in use.
[/IMG]

beaslbob

I would replace the bio balls with cheatomorphia which is a macro algae.

I recommend if you have never setup a sump system before to test this out in the garage or driveway to insure you setup the system correctly.

test:

1) power outage does not result in the sump flooding.
2) power return results in normal operation.
3) (and the one I forgot LOL) with overflow/drain failure the disply does not flood. (water is still being returned to display but sump can run out of water before the display floods).

Much better for flood the concrete driveway then the carpet on the living room.

my .02