Is it good to go a day without feeding your fish once in a while?

ClaptonsGhost

When I google that all I get are articles on going on vacation and how fish CAN survive a few days without food. What I want to know is, is it beneficial to go a day without feeding your fish once in a while, or even regularly, like once a week?

bang guy

I can think of no benefit. Other than Anthias, most saltwater fish have no trouble fasting for a week or so.

candaceswf

Administrator
A benefit could be that there's not as much uneaten food in the tank... if that's ever an issue, and the food would last a teensy bit longer. All I have now are my clowns and inverts, the one clown is spoiled and won't eat any pellets off the sand so I give it a little pinch or two every other day. In the other tank there's a big pump, so the pair in there can't pick the pellets out of the water column like the brat in the other tank lol, so I'll give them a bit more every two or three days.

jay0705

I feed my fish daily, would missing a day or two be detrimental? Prob not but I think consistency is good for a sw tank

ClaptonsGhost

I've found that the more they anticipate a meal the less naturally they behave. I like when they weave in and out of the rock work. I hate it when they see me and all gather at the top of the tank waiting for their handout. This morning for example, rather than feeding them when the lights came on full, I just sat back and watched them and they're behaving much more naturally. Maybe I'll just feed them once today, later on, instead of 2-3 feedings (which last less than 5 minutes. Definitely not overfeeding).

flower

When I google that all I get are articles on going on vacation and how fish CAN survive a few days without food. What I want to know is, is it beneficial to go a day without feeding your fish once in a while, or even regularly, like once a week?
In the ocean, the fish eat all the time, that's why they are so big. The fish in our tanks are already puny because we regulate how often we feed them, usually once a day...(For those who might misunderstand...overfeeding them does no good for the fish, and just pollutes the tank) However feeding them 4Xs a day when they are little will ensure the largest specimen when they reach adulthood.

The fish will not starve to death in a few days, but it isn't healthy either. They do have food living in the live rock that they can hunt and eat, so it isn't like they have nothing to eat at all. Stock the tank with amphipods, and make them hunt in the rocks for their meals until you get back.

ClaptonsGhost

Thanks, but, again, I'm not going anywhere!:eek:
I was just curious about the possible benefits of not feeding the fish a day here or there, like a fast.

flower

Thanks, but, again, I'm not going anywhere!:eek:
I was just curious about the possible benefits of not feeding the fish a day here or there, like a fast.
People fast for religious reasons, and we eat a bunch of not so good for you stuff, and we think it will help to detoxify once in a while and fast, but fish don't need that, nor does any other creature in God's creation. Humans eat for pleasure, animals and fish eat to survive. They have no benefits from fasting.

BFB

Well i never had issues missing a day in a week feeding. I used to own many tanks in my house but then had to stop for work/health reasons, now i'm back since 5 months and polishing my memory ;)

flower

Well i never had issues missing a day in a week feeding. I used to own many tanks in my house but then had to stop for work/health reasons, now i'm back since 5 months and polishing my memory ;)
Most any critter CAN go a day without eating, it just isn't beneficial to fast for any critter except maybe humans. Unless they are sick, for example, when my dog got sick, the vet said to not feed him for 24 hours, then to add rice to his food to help him digest his food easier.

geridoc

Most any critter CAN go a day without eating, it just isn't beneficial to fast for any critter except maybe humans. Unless they are sick, for example, when my dog got sick, the vet said to not feed him for 24 hours, then to add rice to his food to help him digest his food easier.
Actually, a 60% reduction in caloric intake is known to extend lifespan in a variety of species by up to 45%, so from that standpoint we probably overfeed our animals. This is a different issue from growth, which is stopped by such diets.

silverado61

Just to be clear, so if we underfeed our fish (not to the point of starving of course) say, cut back 40%, they won't grow quite as large as they should but they'll live longer? As long as we continue regular feeding?

geridoc

Just to be clear, so if we underfeed our fish (not to the point of starving of course) say, cut back 40%, they won't grow quite as large as they should but they'll live longer? As long as we continue regular feeding?
I can't really say, since it hasn't been tried. But in rodents, insects, worms, primates (some debate about that, but at least one successful experiment in rhesus monkeys), etc., caloric restriction has worked, but nobody has tried it in fish. Similarly, just limiting the intake of the amino acid glycine also extends life span in a variety of species.

I overfeeding my dog, she is 16 year old now and doing well until this year. I believe overfeeding or underfeeding have nothing to do how long they live.

Wet Pet

Our job as fish keepers is to give the fish and corals the best live possible after taking them out of the ocean... If they will eat everyday I say feed them. Overfeeding can also be a problem so be sure to check nitrate and nitrite's too much of that will kill fish. More feeding = more water changes.