Fish list help for 75g reef

snakeblitz33

Hello friends,

I am notoriously horrible at choosing fish to add to a tank. I can get along fine with the basics but I don't really want the basics. It's been a while since I've had to look at fish compatibility. I need some fish ideas for a 75g +36g sump.

I like unique fish, but I won't be buying a Dr. Seuss Soapfish any time soon. Lets keep it real...

There are soo many fish that I love to watch but I know I'm not able to have them all, so lets whittle down the list some...

yellow tang
kole tang
maroon clown
chromis
bicolor blenny
scooter blenny
neon goby
powder brown tang
carpenters fairy wrasse
sixline wrasse
various fairy wrasses
yellow watchman goby
mandarin goby
firefish
clown goby
lemonpeel angel

ok... now lets narrow it down into something more manageable...

trigger40

all the fish in your list seems appropriate. its just a matter of witch fish goes with witch.

snakeblitz33

I like them all, but I don't want that much of a bioload.

I like all of the colors in the list and their behaviors. I just don't want compatibility issues. I would like to try to narrow the list down to 7 or 8 really good choices.

trigger40

i would take out the powder brown tang as they are aggressive. i would pick one tang but the yellow is less aggressive than the kole tang. i like the bicoloer blenny if you had to chose one. the lemonpeel would be nice. a pair of fire fish would be cool to. sixline wrasses dont do well with mandarins unless it trained to eat frozen foods. the six line will out compete the mandarin for pods. and then you could pick some fairy wrasses with the clown.

aduvall

I love the lemon peel! I echo the 6line caution... I've seen bad stuff out of those dudes!!

LOVE fairy wrasses. What kind of top are you gonna do with fairy and filefish?

I've hear Kole and Powders can fight..haven't seen it personally (never had them) but most others I've chatted with discourage it.

If I could do two angels (in my 65) it would be my flame and either a Lemonpeel or Coral Beauty. Right now lemon peel has the edge!

snakeblitz33

Just don't know about that much yellow (yellow tang and lemon peel)

I just need fish that don't nip at SPS corals.

kopczynski

Maybe, kole tang, lemonpeel angel, pair of firefish, bicolor blenny, 3 fairy wrasses, and a mandarin or scooter blenny.

jay0705

I have this fish in my 75. Kole, royal gramma, purple fire, mcoskers wrasse, pair of green mandarins, sleeper headed goby, clown goby, one spot fox and coral beauty

jay0705

Dont the magnificent get too big for a 75? I could be wrong, just thought they were one of the bigger.

bang guy

Yes, they do better in tanks 6' long or more. But one would have better success in a 4' tank than a yellow Tang would. They do not need the open water swimming like Tangs.

aduvall

Not as a centerpiece but have you looked at a Hoevan's wrasse? Good looking and helps out with the reef by eating some undesirables.

bang guy

I know you like fox face, bang. I guess I just need to keep looking.
I guess I'd say I'm a fan of Rabbitfish, not necessarily Fox Face. The Twin Streak I had was smallish, and FULL of personality. I find Tangs skittish. That said, my next tank will have a Yellow Tang but only because my wife misses the one we had.

bang guy

Why pick Foxface as centerpiece for the reef tank?
They're typically good looking, docile, hardy, with a nice personality, and they graze on algae all day. Most Tangs can get stressed living in a 4' tank. Other than the Kole, they need to "open up" once in a while. Tangs can also be skittish.

They're typically good looking, docile, hardy, with a nice personality, and they graze on algae all day. Most Tangs can get stressed living in a 4' tank. Other than the Kole, they need to "open up" once in a while. Tangs can also be skittish.
I will get one after my tank is staple.